Share |

Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Happy Cinco de Mayo! Easy Hamburger Enchiladas


Time is sneaking up on me again. It's May and I think I am still stuck in November. Turkey anyone? We love Mexican food and as everyone knows, cook it at least once a week. Cinco de Mayo is fun for us only because it is an excuse to make some more Mexican food. Since I made Chili Verde yesterday (recipe to follow next week) I really am not looking to spend all day again today in the kitchen. These enchiladas are ultra simple mostly because I cheat and use a canned sauce. We will go over the recipe for making the sauce when time isn't of the issue! I have tried many different canned brands and Las Palmas is my favorite.

But feel free to use whatever you like.

Easy Hamburger Enchiladas
1-1 1/2 pounds of hamburger
1 onion chopped
1 can of red enchilada sauce (I prefer medium heat but you could mix in a can of mild)
3 cups of shredded cheese (you could cheat and buy the pre-shredded but I like the taste and consistency of shredding it myself. Plus it is cheaper)
9-12 flour tortillas
1 small can of sliced black olives
salt and pepper to taste

Brown the meat and the onion together. Salt and pepper to taste.


Drain off all the fat. Set meat aside.
Set up your enchilada making station. Plan on getting dirty. It's a little messy but you can always wash your hands after wards!

Spray the sides of a 9x13 baking pan with some baking spray. You do not need to spray the bottom.
I like to do it all in the pan I am going to bake the enchiladas in but if you need it to be separated, pour about one cup of sauce into a pie plate for dipping the flour tortillas into. I just pour it into the 9x13 baking pan. If you get low on sauce, refill it as needed.
Dip the tortillas so both sides get "sauced."

My family does not like dry enchiladas. Put about 1/2 cup of the meat mixture into the tortilla.

Sprinkle some cheese on top of the meat and roll the tortilla up. Repeat until the pan is full or the meat is gone.


Pour the remainder of sauce over the top of the enchiladas.

Sprinkle remaining cheese on top of the enchiladas.

Now sprinkle the olives on top of the cheese.

Bake uncovered in a 350 degree oven for 30 minutes. You are just heating them up, not cooking them.

My brats like sour cream on the side. Get the beer cold because there is nothing better than a beer with enchiladas. Sorry kids, you'll have to experience that later in life!

If Enchiladas is not your thing for Cinco de Mayo, here are some other Mexican recipes;
Simple Salsa
Chicken Enchiladas
Chili Rubbed Tri-Tip Tacos
Whole Roasted Chicken for Chicken Tacos
Crock Pot Pork Tacos
Hamburger Tacos

4 comments:

Theresa said...

OMG, that looks so good. I could seriously eat some for breakfast!

Tiffanee said...

Yum! Those look so good. I am really wanting them right now. I have never coated my tortillas in the sauce before. Thanks for the fabulous tip!!

Meg @ A Dash of Nutmeg said...

This looks yummy! Makes me even more sad that I had to resort to Taco Bell for lunch just to have something Mexican today. (We're going to the future in-laws for dinner and having lasagna.)

sweetlife said...

yum, love any kind of enchiladas..

sweetlife

Related Posts with Thumbnails
Proud member of FoodBlogs