Share |

Thursday, May 6, 2010

Artichokes


The Fireman did not like very many vegetables when we first were married. And what vegetables he would eat, he preferred out of a can. Yikes! I had to change that! I can handle frozen vegetables when fresh is not available but canned...no thank you! It took me 15 years to get him to try an artichoke. The Tortured Teenager and I would eat them every chance they went on sale.

Fortunately 15 years into our marriage, The Fireman eats every vegetable except raw tomatoes. I am a huge vegetable lover so when he jumped on the Artichoke band wagon, I was thrilled! Artichokes can be a little scary looking with those pointy leaves. They are so easy to make. Today I am going to show you how to just prepare them the good ole fashioned way. They are amazing grilled or stuffed but lets start with the Plain Jane method.

First how beautiful are these babies? They were 2 for a dollar!

Cut the stem off with a sharp knife

take your kitchen spears and cut off the pointy tips of the leafs. Ive kept these on before but they can be sharp!

Now take your knife and cut off the very top (since your spears wont be able to get them all)

Squeeze a lemon into your pot of water. Dont have a lemon handy? A TB of vinegar works great! This will keep them from turning brown after you cut them. You could forget this step if you are not concerned with the color. I have!

Cover and boil for 30 minutes (may need longer if you have as many as I have tonight)

My dad always ate them with mayonnaise and to be honest that is how I like them. I also love them with Dijon mustard mixed with equal parts mayonnaise.

6 comments:

Meg @ A Dash of Nutmeg said...

I love artichokes but I've never tried them fresh before. Mine have always come from a can or a jar. Maybe I'll have to give it a whirl.

Unknown said...

Really, it's that easy? I love artichokes, but have always left them for the pros since they seem so scary to cook. The husband will be thrilled when I try this recipe! Thanks a zillion!

Anonymous said...

those are the hugest, most gorgeous artichokes I've ever seen!
anne
www.anniebakes.net

Brownieville Girl said...

I love artichokes too, but have to admit to a fondness of canned peas!!

Unknown said...

so..what i hear you saying is that i have 10 more years before i can get hubster to eat lots of veggies? his mother won't even allow veggies on her plate--ugh. he does like artichokes and asparagus...now if i could just get further in the alphabet! :)

Taylor said...

I have been seeing artichokes popping up at the grocery store and wanting to make them but haven't known where to start! Thanks for the tutorial :)

Related Posts with Thumbnails
Proud member of FoodBlogs