Share |

Monday, May 31, 2010

Chipotle Salsa


It's no secret that this family is crazy over Taco Tuesdays! If I am good, I will make the salsa the night before. It gives it time to marry...if you will. The flavors mellow a bit.

Salsa is so very easy to make. After you make it once, you will see that it is so easy and so much cheaper than the store bought fresh variety (unless you can get it for less than $2) plus you control the ingredients.

I am huge on using ingredients you have on hand rather than making a trip to the store for a lost ingredient. I am out of jalapenos. I know! Odd right? I cook with them so often that there isn't one in the house! This variety of salsa is just as good as my Simple Salsa. The chipotle gives it a hint of smokiness. Just be careful to add one pepper at a time. They can get hot really fast! Your eyeballs will sweat! No joke!

Chipotle Salsa


1 can (29 oz) whole peeled tomatoes, drained
½ yellow onion chopped
1 gloves garlic chopped
1 cup cilantro leaves
2-3 chipotle peppers in adobo (picture of can above and below)
Juice of one lime or lemon
1 tsp kosher salt

Chop and dump onion and garlic into the food processor. Drain the tomatoes (really squish the liquid out of them. I am a bit of a freak..I admit it. I take my chef knife and cut them up a bit in the can even though they are going into a food processor. You don't have to do it.



Add Cilantro (and say it correctly...my sweet friend that is very fluent in Spanish corrects this redneck every time I say it..It's Ceeelantrrooo) I am a bit of a stem snob. I painstakingly take the stems off.)

Add the lemon or lime juice and salt.
Now open the can of chipotles. Fish out two to start. Seriously!


Chop them up a little. And dump them into the processor.

Pulse till desired consistency. I like it pretty smooth. The Fireman and The Tortured Teenager like it chunky. They are not here while I am making it so it's gonna be the way I like it today. If you really like it chunky, add an extra pepper to the processor and then a can of drained diced tomatoes after you have pulsed it.
You want to taste it and make sure it is spicy enough! I added another chili. You can refrigerate the remaining chili's and use for next week. They are also good in cheese dip, chop up one or two and add to scrambled eggs, homemade hummus, chop up a couple and put into homemade chili, or you can even freeze them!

Tomorrow is Taco Tuesday! This will be perfect with the Beer Pulled Pork Tacos!

1 comments:

Ma What's 4 dinner said...

mmmm, nothing like a good salsa to kick off summertime. This one looks great. I love to try new homemade salsa recipes. I'll give it a try. Found you on Annie Bakes!

Lots of yummy love,
Alex aka Ma, What's for Dinner
www.mawhats4dinner.com

Related Posts with Thumbnails
Proud member of FoodBlogs