Share |

Thursday, May 20, 2010

Guinness Beef Stew


I know you are looking at the name Guinness Beef Stew and thinking I am about two months late posting this. Nah, I just like to cook hearty meals when its cold out. This week it has been brutally windy. That wind has a way of chilling you to the bone. Thanks Mother Nature for being confused on which season it is!

This recipe is so good on cold days. The Irish sure know how to cook with their own beer! The Fireman loves Guinness beer. I had to beg him to save me one to cook with. I love beer but Guinness is a little dark for me. Not that I haven't enjoyed my share. I just usually gravitate to the lighter beers. The Tortured Teenager calls this "Drunken Stew" on account of the amount of alcohol in it.

This recipe is great for cheap cuts of meat. You can swap out the beef for lamb which is more traditional. I love it with lamb but I can not get my family to eat it. Ever! And I have tried to trick them into thinking that it was beef.

The Tortured Teenager is not much for stews. She will eat them and she did this night. The Ballplayer on other hand normally will not touch them but this is one that he is good for two bowls. Serve it with traditional Irish Soda bread to sop up the sauce.

Guinness Beef Stew


Olive oil for browning the meat
1 pound (or package) of chuck beef stew meat
5-6 cloves of garlic chopped
1 box of beef broth
1 cup of Guinness Beer
1 cup of red wine (please grab something you would drink or ask for a recommendation from your grocer)
2 TB tomato paste
1 Tb sugar
1 TB dried thyme
2 TB Worcestershire sauce
2 Bay leaves
2 TB butter
3 pounds of potatoes, peeled and cut into large chunks
1 large onion, chopped
2 cups baby carrots
2 cups celery cut into chunks
Salt and Pepper

Heat oil in an extra large sauce pan. Season the meat with salt and pepper. Brown the meat in batches.

Remove from the pan and set aside. Add the chopped garlic and sauté. Do not burn it.

Add the tomato paste and cook for a minute.

Add Guinness, red wine, beef stock, Worcestershire sauce, sugar, thyme, and bay leaves. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat, cover and simmer 1 hour.

Add vegetables to the pot!

In frying pan, melt the butter over medium high heat. Add the potatoes and onions and saute until golden brown. Resist the urge to eat out of the pan while it is cooking.

Add to the meat mixture. Let simmer until vegetables are soft.



This could be made in the crock pot. I would use larger chunks of meat and I would brown the meat and add all the ingredients including the potatoes and vegetables. Leave the vegetables in very large chunks. Set on low and let simmer all day.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

This blog makes me want to cook everything from scratch ^.^ Delicious!

Tiffanee said...

I love stews any time of the year! This one looks oh so delicious!!

Jodi said...

I'm here from Friendly Friday. I'm your newest follower! :) I hope you'll stop by my blog and say hello when you get a chance!

--Jodi
http://jodibee.blogspot.com

Design It Chic said...

Awesome recipe! Following you now thanks to the new Friendly Friday Follow or for short FFF:)
If you have time it would be nice to share back the love here:) Happy Friday!

Related Posts with Thumbnails
Proud member of FoodBlogs