Share |

Monday, May 10, 2010

Roasted Chickpeas


Lately, all the foodies are buzzing about Roasted Chickpeas. In February, Budget Bytes used them as an alternative to popcorn. Two weeks ago More than a Mount Full did a piece on them. But yesterday, Let's Dish brought them up again! It's too many times for me to ignore! All recipes have the basic recipe the same, rinse, dry, season and roast. Hmmm sounds easy enough! All season according to their tastes. Sounds like a job for the Fireman's seasoning!

So I pick a day that nobody is home to test it. Everyone says that they are addictive. So I figure that I won't want to share in case they are a huge success! Luckily I have one can of chickpeas in the cupboard. All that is left is to make some more seasoning.

I proceed to rinse the beans and lay them out on paper towels. I even walked away for an hour busy with other chores. Roasting wet items just steams them so drying is critical.

Lined my cookie sheet with foil and got to work on the seasoning. Really I need to start making it in large quantities and store in a container. I cook with it often. Firehouse Taters are made on the fly when we need a side dish but I have also tossed it on chicken or steak.

1 can of chickpeas, drained and dried
Olive oil for drizzling
1 tsp garlic powder
1tsp salt
1/8 tsp cumin
1/8 tsp cayenne pepper
1/2 tsp smoked paprika

Preheat the oven 400 degrees.

This is where everyone differs. One baked at 350 for 40 minutes, another at 400 for 30 and lastly 425 for 20...all had the same end product.

My beast does well at 400. That is what I roast vegetables at so these little nuggets will do fine at it. I was warned that they pop like pop corn so knowing that I should have been prepared but it alarmed me none the less! After 20 minutes I gave them a shake. At 30 minutes I ate two. One was really crunchy and one was not crunchy enough so I popped it back in the oven. Another five minutes and they were perfect!

These chefs have it point on though! One can is not enough. These are yummy for snacks but I cant wait to toss them on a salad in place of croutons.




Don't forget to enter my Freschetta Pizza Giveaway!!

10 comments:

Jennifer said...

Oh, looks yummy! Love your blog! Follow me in return plz! I found you on my friends blog!!

Meg @ A Dash of Nutmeg said...

These sound really good! I think I'll add these to the ever-growing list of things to cook when I get my kitchen settled. Would you believe it's been almost a week and a half and I still haven't finished putting the kitchen together!? I think if I go much longer I won't be able to call myself a foodie anymore!

Miller Moments said...

I like the idea of putting them on a salad. I don't know about eating them all on their own.... We actually throw them into chocolate chip cookies for the boys. They don't really have a taste in the cookie and add a little fiber to a loved snack.

Fab Find Foodie said...

OOOH!!! These look yummy!! Thanks for sharing! I have that exact brand of chickpeas in the cupboard that I've been looking to use!

Rachel said...

Oh, I am so making these tomorrow!
Following you from MBC. =)
Rachel
http://reapingwhatisow.blogspot.com/

Karen Chayne said...

I would love to taste and try this one since I had never tasted it before.

Unknown said...

Sounds fantastic...my little one will eat chickpeas like candy, so I'll definitely try this version soon!

dining tables said...

This one looks good! I love it! This is so perfect for the weekend! Thanks.

Chef Dennis Littley said...

Great job with the Chick Peas looks like you got them down to a science!! They are good aren't they....I get so excited when I make something tasty that I never would have eaten before...I have certainly become a chick pea convert!!
Thanks so much for the mention and link in your post!
Cheers
Dennis

even-star said...

love chickpeas! might try these this weekend. Thanks!

new follower from nff

Related Posts with Thumbnails
Proud member of FoodBlogs