Share |

Sunday, May 30, 2010

Saucy Poppers



Everyone know we love appetizers! There are times in the summer that we forgo dinner and eat spinach dip with sourdough bread and a bottle of wine. There is nothing so special as enjoying a meal like this with my husband. Really I don't care what the meal just as long as it's shared with The Fireman. But that being said, you must know that we love bar food. Love appetizers. If dinner is to be served after wards, forget it! I'm not interested.

A favorite appetizer is anything spicy! Buffalo wings, spicy artichoke dip or jalapeno poppers are all favorites. I recently tried a new jalapeno popper recipe. Pioneer Woman raved about them on The View. Her version is good (and I recommend you check it out. Her site is to die for) but of course I had to change them. I needed to keep them spicy but add more pork (Hello! My men love pork) but make them appealing to us women. I've got a winner! Oh a definite keeper! I recently made them for a House Party. Needless to say, I didn't get to try one. They were gone before I could get my hands on them! These are a labor of love. You cant just throw them together. The Fireman helped me do these the night before our party and then I cooked them an hour before anyone was to arrive.

Saucy Poppers
20 whole Fresh Jalapenos, 2-3 Inches In Size
1 large cube Cream Cheese, softened
1 pound Thin(regular) Bacon
1 small can of chunk pineapple drained
1/2 cup Saucy Susan (normally by the specialty BBQ sauces but if you cannot find then substitute with either Duck sauce which is found in the Asian aisle or apricot jam)
Tooth picks

If I am making salsa I can handle the jalapenos but for this, gloves are a must!!
Lob off the stem end of the jalapenos and then slice lengthwise. I like to do them all at once.

Then I take a spoon and scrape all the seeds and veins out. It's a must.

Take the same spoon and fill the now hollowed jalapenos with cream cheese.

Take two chunks of pineapple and place over cream cheese lengthwise

Wrap with bacon. A fix with a toothpick or two.

Place cheese side up on the cookie sheet.
Bake in a 375 degree oven for 40 minutes or until the bacon is crispy on all sides (check underneath)
Take out of the oven and coat with the Saucy Susan. Be generous! I always do half with BBQ sauce. You'd be surprised how the men can't tell the difference in sauces.
Return to the oven but put it on broil and watch it like a hawk! A couple minutes max!
Remove from the oven and hide half. No really! The men will hog them and you will be forced to eat them in the kitchen! No joke

0 comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails
Proud member of FoodBlogs