Share |

Thursday, April 22, 2010

Chicken Enchiladas


We eat a lot of Mexican food in this house. Now there are a ton of really good Mexican restaurants here. They are practically on every corner yet I still cook it every chance I can.

Enchiladas are a little time consuming and somewhat messy (especially with a camera in one hand) but cheap and feeds an army! I can get two nights out of one tray of enchiladas. Add some Spanish rice and re-fried beans and you will be competing with the corner restaurant! (or so I keep telling my pocket book) Now there are some shortcuts, tonight, I am using the leftover meat from The whole chicken made for tacos (I froze it) and I am using can sauce. I have made the sauce home made. It is by far better home made but time is an issue so the can will have to do tonight!

Chicken Enchiladas
Printer Friendly Version

Meat from one rotisserie chicken or equivalent
1 cup sour cream
1 cup Cheddar cheese plus
3 cups Cheddar cheese
1 extra lg can green enchilada sauce
9-12 flour tortillas (depends how full you stuff them)

In a medium size bowl mix chicken meat, 2 cup cheese, (in my case it's two handfuls) and sour cream. Mix well. This mixture will melt down into a creamy sauce!

Now here's where the sloppy part starts!
Pour enough sauce in the bottom of a 9x13 pan to cover the bottom.
Pour 1 cup of sauce in a pie plate. Take a tortilla and place in the pie plate. Flip over to sauce both sides. This is important to my family...they do not like dry enchiladas. Note: I skip the pie plate and just do it in the baking pan. You can save the dish to wash!

Add 1/2 cup meat mixture and roll up. Keep refilling sauce to moisten tortillas.

Repeat until the pan in full or the meat is gone.

Take remaining sauce and pour over top of enchiladas


Cover the top of the enchiladas with cheese.

Bake in a 350 degree preheated oven for 30 minutes uncovered.
Try to resist seconds.


What is your favorite filling for Enchiladas?

12 comments:

tortured teenager said...

those were bomb mom

Ian said...

Don't know your real name but you won

Fab Find Foodie said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Fab Find Foodie said...

First of all, I love that you grate your own cheese. (That's how I do it too...just seems fresher!!)

Second..My favorite enchiladas are from a local mexican restaurant. They are spinach chicken sour cream enchiladas. YUMMY!!

BTW...yours look fantastically delish!! :)

Christine said...

Those look so good and I'm not even really into Mexican!

Gigi said...

Very similar to my homemade enchiladas, which are on my to-do list to post on my own blog. My only change is that I add a can of chopped green chiles and 1/2 jar of salsa to the chicken/cheese mixture. :)

Mrs. Sanchez said...

I guess this shows how much of a novice cook I am, but I had no idea how easy they were to make!!!

Looks delicious!!!

I am following via MBC. Follow back at http://jotgiveaways.blogspot.com

Unknown said...

I love the simplicity of your recipe. It would also be great to freeze and have on hand for those days when you don't have a lot of time. I have added green enchilada sauce to my grocery list!

Lisa C. said...

These look yummy... and Chicken is our favorite... I make tons, and freeze them too (in sets of 2 or 3) easy when I don't have time to cook, or hubby can take for lunch... or just pop em into toaster oven.. hehehe with some home made Guac and Pico de Gallo.. mmmm
BTW Happy FF... New follower here... Hope you get a chance to come and check us out @ http://mommyingonthefly.blogspot.com/

Jenna said...

I'm here from FF and your newest follower! :) I'd love it if you'd come visit/follow me at www.momsbalancingact.com!

Have a great day!

Auntie E said...

oh that sounds good I love Verde sauce. I well try this one this weekend for sure. thanks for join the Thursday's PotLuck club.

Kristie said...

Love the idea of having the sauce in the pan like that, definitely doing that next time. Mine are very similar to your, but I also add onion to the mixture.

Related Posts with Thumbnails
Proud member of FoodBlogs