Share |

Friday, April 23, 2010

Chicken with White Wine Gravy-Pantry Meal


My cupboards are bare. It is the night before I shop and there is literally two nights of meat left in the freezer and a bunch a canned goods. The Fireman is home so I am expected to cook. This is where I pull out my Pantry meals. This one is an old one too. I took this from Gram (back when I was barely married to The Fireman) who probably took it from a Woman Day's magazine. It has been copied to the backs of envelopes and tweaked for my family. I have to make twice the gravy. Just don't tell The Tortured Teenager that it has Cream of Chicken soup in it or she will never eat it again! She has a thing against any recipe with Cream of Anything Soup in it!

Chicken with White wine Gravy-Pantry Meal
Printer Friendly Version



1 cut up chicken (like what you would use for fried chicken but all I have is breasts)
1/2 finely chopped onions (the smaller the better for picky eaters)
1/2 cup white wine (make sure it's a dry wine you really would drink...I prefer to drink red but I will drink this too!)
2 cans Cream of Chicken Soup
salt and pepper

Heat a skillet over medium heat. Mine are old so I added some olive oil.

Salt and pepper chicken. Add to skillet skin side down. Cook 5 minutes

turn, cook another four minutes.

Squish meat to one side of the pan (see I put mine on their sides) and add onion and cook till translucent. Aww heck, we like a little color on ours!

Add wine, carefully...drink some too! Let cook for a minute...stick your face in the fumes...don't you want to bathe in that?

Add the soup and 1/2 can of water and mix it all well. Cover and simmer for 20 minutes or until your chicken is done. Again, mine were big pieces and I do not want raw meat. I don't have a lid for this pan, so I'm about to put foil over it!

Gram used to serve over Smashed Red potatoes but I dont have that in my bare cupboards so skins on mashed potatoes will have to do!

This is The Fireman's FAVORITE chicken gravy! Why? It's canned soup and wine! But it taste like what he ate in elementary school...at school! Lucky me! I am being compared to lunch ladies in the 60's! Such is my luck!

The Tortured Teenager practically licked her plate clean. God help me if she ever reads my blog!



9 comments:

supermomplace said...

Thank you for this recipe, I've been having problem with dry chicken breast. no matter how I fix it its always DRY!
now what kinda soup is that? I mean which flavor?
I'll be back for the answer!

your plate looks like something ordered at the restaurant! :)

Shamrocks and Shenanigans said...

Supermomplace- the soup is Cream of Chicken (campbells or store brand-whatever is cheapest)
There is a picture of the ingredient by the list. Are you able to view the picture?
Shamrocks and Shenanigans

Shamrocks and Shenanigans said...

One more thing! To avoid dry chicken, buy an instant read thermometer. I pull it at 160 and let it rest. There is carry over cooking. So if you pull it at 160 it will cook 5 more degrees while it rests. Hope I explained that right!

KIM said...

Oh my gosh that looks super good, I am stopping by for the Friday Follow please check my blog out. I know I will back again and again to read yours.

Nancy said...

What a great recipe, looks so good. I'm also dropping by to let you know that I would like to give you the Happy 101 award :) Please stop by my blog so you can download the award and see how you can pass it on to your favorite bloggers.

Hope you have a great weekend!

Pam said...

Your chicken looks delicious! You are just too funny with your tortured teenager reading your blog. I've kind of felt that way sometimes also. I like you because you are a little like Julia, sip and cook! Love it! Happy grocery shopping tomorrow! Can't wait to hear what you bought and will try next!

Lisa C. said...

very cool.. lol... I'm a supper picky eater, and this looks like the kinda concoction even I could love... hmmmm will def. have to give it a go... sounds yummmmmmmyyyy... thanks for the share... love that you leave your chicken alone to brown... I HATE colorless meat.. blach.. but I'm so impatient, turn turn turn.. it takes a year.. hahaha

Whats Cookin Italian Style Cuisine said...

this looks super delicious, love this kind of chicken....and rice thanks so much for your kind words and visiting my blog!

Claudia

Anonymous said...

The white wine gravy sounds fantastic, a nice meal!

Related Posts with Thumbnails
Proud member of FoodBlogs