Share |

Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Broccoli Salad



I'm not sure if my father knows that I know how to cook. Odd statement, right? I don't cook for my father. He is an amazing cook. Growing up, he could whip up a meal in no time! And it was gooood! Not just a manly sandwich. But meals! If somebody was to mention to him that I not only cook but have a food blog...I think he might pass out! I don't think he puts much thought into what I feed his grandchildren but I'm sure he thinks I didn't cook it!

Early in our marriage, I relied on convenience items for cooking. Salads that were already done that you would just add the sauce to. That is how I was introduced to Broccoli Salad. I bought it at Costco and tossed it in a bowl. Little did I know that I was paying $5 bucks too much for it! Most the items in it were already in my kitchen. I have tweaked the recipe over the years. We like it with less sauce which makes it healthier. The toppings can be switched up for whatever you have on stock. This time I was out of dried cranberries but had some that were in a salad topping mixed with candied walnuts. I always have "stuff" like that for salads. Makes them taste fancy with some stinky cheese.

Funny how I am enclosing a recipe that you DON'T cook to a griping that my father doesn't know that I know how to cook. I have a sense of humor!

Broccoli Salad


1/2 cup mayonnaise
1 TB Rice vinegar (but apple cider would be nice too)
1 TB sugar
5 cups extra small broccoli pieces
Bacon pieces
Chopped red onion ( which I am missing)
Sunflower seeds
Cranberry or raisins

Mix mayonnaise, vinegar and sugar in a large bowl.

Add broccoli and toppings. Mix well. Refrigerate for at least an hour before serving


Sorry I need to grab that! You don't mind, right?


Which pre-made mix do you now make homemade?


Don't forget to enter the Country Bob Sauce Giveaway!

16 comments:

Meg @ A Dash of Nutmeg said...

This looks really yummy! I have tried a couple of times to recreate the bacon ranch pasta salad from suddenly salad but I can never get the ranch dressing right.

When I was a teenager my aunt bought a cookbook for me that taught you how to make homemade versions of all kinds of store bought and restaurant foods. Unfortunately I just moved and the cookbooks are still in boxes, but I'm pretty sure there were some things like that in there.

Jennifer K said...

That looks good! I need to have lunch before I eat everything in sight. I've started making mac & cheese from scratch (although I still love Kraft every now and again) and it's sooo good when it's made from fresh ingredients! Have a great day!

Jennifer
http://giveawaysforyou.blogspot.com

Kristi said...

I love broccoli but don't think I've ever made a broccoli salad. Now I have something new to try.

Aleksandra Nearing said...

Looks yummy! I'm following you back! Thanks for coming over to enter my giveaways :)

Krista said...

Mmmmmmm!

Frugal Science Gal said...

Thanks for the tag! Your site looks really neat and can help me find some stuff like to eat because I'm a picky eater. Therefore...I'm now following you on Google Friend Connect. :-)
I hope you liked my blog.
http://frugalsciencegal.blogspot.com/

Mel_Cole said...

Mmm, I like broccoli salads too. Thanks for dropping by.

Weeping_cherry said...

Here is my second blog too. It my new blog with my Mother as my co-writer. Hope you'll check it out.

Unknown said...

I love Broccoli Salad!! Great recipe- I've never added sunflowers- will have to try.

Catherine said...

This looks wonderful! Yummy!

Unknown said...

This looks very, very yummy. I might have to give this a go.

Free2bMommy said...

Now im hungry!!

Dee
http://free2bmommy.blogspot.com/

Unknown said...

Yum looks good. found you from this weeks Tag you're it

Jennifer said...

Taggin back!

Nancy said...

Yummy I love how you added cranberries or raisins! What a great addition.

Mother Rimmy said...

I adore broccoli salad. It's a great way to get people to eat their broccoli. :)

Related Posts with Thumbnails
Proud member of FoodBlogs