Share |

Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Pulled Pork Sandwiches with Coleslaw


Last night I made the biggest pork roast in my crockpot! Did you see it? I'm not sure what pig it was from but I think it was the Big Daddy of squealers!

It's no secret my family is not cool with leftovers. I could make tacos again tonight. The Fireman wasn't home for Taco Tuesday. So I could potentially get away with it but leftover pork screams for one dish and one dish only!

Do you remember the first time you had pulled pork sandwiches? Not as a kid because that doesn't count. I didn't grow up eating it! And I surely didn't get to enjoy a beer with it! The Fireman reminded me that is was in San Francisco. Like I could forget!

He took me there for my first MLB game. It was the Giants vs Dodgers. I hadn't discovered the love of baseball yet. I was apprehensive. It was the best weekend of my life. The Fireman proposed at Candlestick Stadium. No it wasn't on a big screen. That's not us. It was so private that nobody around us knew.

That weekend I also had my first pulled pork sandwich with coleslaw on top. Just like the rest of my weekend, I wasn't sure if I would like it. Creamy coleslaw on BBQ pork? It was heaven! The two flavors marry together perfectly, complementing each other. Just like a good marriage!

Now my pulled pork is nothing special...really! I don't even make my own BBQ sauce although I have in the past. You can pull this meal together in no time.

First make the coleslaw. It needs just a little time to meld together. This is plain Jane coleslaw! I make an entirely different coleslaw for a side dish. I'm not saying you can't eat it alone (in fact The Fireman ate the remainder from the bowl) but this is not my "special coleslaw" this is just for pulled pork sandwiches.

Coleslaw
Printer Friendly Version

1/2 cup mayonnaise
2 TB rice vinegar (or apple cider vinegar)
1 TB table sugar
1/2 bag (yes that's my measurement!) of coleslaw cabbage.
Mix mayo, sugar and vinegar in a large bowl.


Add cabbage. Mix well.

It will look like you don't have enough sauce but I promise you will have enough.

The cabbage will break down and the sauce will be perfect. Refrigerate while you make the sandwiches.
Take 4 cups of leftover pulled pork-

(don't have leftovers, no problem-might take five hours longer to make but here's the recipe for the Pork Roast)
Place pork in a large pan and reheat on medium heat.

Once warm, add about 3/4 cups of your favorite BBQ sauce. You want the meat covered but not soupy.
Place pork on toasted onion rolls. Pile coleslaw on top. Be generous with both!


Lick your fingers while you eat it! I promise it is mandatory!!!

Where did you eat your first Pulled Pork sandwich?

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

iN OUR BOOK, THE only WAY TO EAT PULLED PORK IS WITH COLESLAW ON TOP--I'M SALIVATING!

QUESTION: DO YOU HAVE A COLESLAW RECIPE THAT DOESN'T HAVE MAYO IN IT? WE HAD ONE AT A RESTAURANT RECENTLY AND IT WAS DELICIOUS, AND I HAVE TO KNOW HOW THEY MADE IT, BUT THEY WRE TOO BUSY TO ASK AT THE TIME! ANNE

www.anniebakes.net

Unknown said...

I'm from GA. I've been eating BBQ sandwiches w/ coleslaw since day 1. I dated a guy whose fam owned a BBQ place & that is called a Pig Special. YUmmers!

Anonymous said...

Tag! You're It Now! Happy to follow you. Love the sandwich =) I had my first one at a BBQ place in Manhattan. Yours looks better! Dawn @ http://www.thewayiseethings.typepad.com

Candi said...

I'm for GA too and yes, I have to agree with Semi-Slacker Mom, that's how I love my BBQ sandwiches. There's a place in the town where I grew up called Hudson's BBQ...best BBQ in Douglas County.

As for Annie's question, I found a freezer cole slaw recipe that does not have mayonnaise. I've made it and it's really good...

http://familystampingfood.blogspot.com/2009/10/recipe-freezer-cole-slaw-really.html

Katherine said...

Yummy!!!! Wishing you happiness, Katherine

sweetlife said...

yum, pulled pork sammy are my fav..I had my first one at a family get together..oh it was love..great story about your proposal...too cute

sweetlife

Lucie said...

This looks so delicious! I have not tried Pork with coleslaw, I must try this. You have a lovely blog. Lucie x

Sena said...

Oh my! Never heard of this before, Food in London can be so boring! :(

Christy said...

I'm following now from Friday Follow. I love your recipes. There is a really great BBQ place here (Texas) that serves something really close to this, and I can't wait to try it out sometime, along with the rest of your recipes that scream 'south' to me. :O) Just FYI I also think your header is precious!

Elin Chia said...

Hi,
This is a great pulled pork sandwiches . It looks delish ...yum yum yumm mouth-watering indeed! Thanks for sharing.

Mark said...

This looks way too good! Gonna have to try it!

Anonymous said...

I had my first and 2nd(the only 2...so far)pulled pork sandwich with slaw 9 years ago in Memphis at Neely Brothers BBQ! I cooked a pork roast tonight & came on here to find a slaw recipe for my sandwich tomorrow.

Anonymous said...

I have been hunting for the exact content like this. You have made my day. Only one thing is going on in my mind at this moment and that is commenting as a way of appreciating.And yes i have digg your site shamrockandshenanigans.blogspot.com .

Related Posts with Thumbnails
Proud member of FoodBlogs