Share |

Thursday, April 1, 2010

Whole Chicken for Chicken Tacos


It is baseball season! For our family, that means cold, windy games! How does Mother Nature know to start the wind on the very first night game? It’s almost spring break and Mother Nature hasn’t taken notice yet. You can generally find me bundled up in my winter coat with hat and mittens. I really don’t care how I look as long as I am warm.

It is important to me that The Ballplayer gets a meal before and after the game. This takes some planning on my part. I like to have our dinner completely cooked so he can have a ‘mini meal’ before the game. Considering he has to be at the field before four in the afternoon and wont be home till after seven, I don’t want him to be hungry. He will with out a doubt end up getting something from the snack bar after the game. How can he resist? Those deep fried burritos are calling for him! It’s all I can do to resist them! But I remind myself that I have a warm meal waiting for us around the corner.

The last couple weeks, our week night games have fallen on Taco Tuesday. I know…again with the Taco Tuesday! This time I used what has become my new favorite kitchen appliance…The Roaster! The Fireman and I received this for Christmas years ago and never used it. Honestly, I thought it was another crockpot! But not so! This baby makes the best roasted birds! Pop that baby in and in two hours it is perfect! Shred (or pick as a girlfriend calls it) the bird and you have instant taco meat! Add yesterdays salsa, a little cheese and maybe a beer and I’m in heaven!


According to this package, I think this bird is about 5 pounds. Make sure you wash it, take the neck and insides out.

I did nothing special to it! Salt, Pepper, sprinkle of Cumin and some garlic powder. I tied the legs together.

Look how big my Roaster is compared to my bird! This is a big chicken too! I could fit a nice size turkey in here! Save the ovens for the side dishes!

I didn't even set a timer! In fact, I was a little concerned I overcooked it! But it was perfect!

All this meat off that bird! In fact, I had a full quart size bag stuffed for leftovers. Its in the freezer now for Enchiladas next week!

Fry up some corn tortillas and it's Taco night!!



What’s your favorite cooking appliance? (food processor, crock pot...)


MckLinky Blog Hop

32 comments:

Tiffanee said...

What a great idea!! I know what you mean about spring sports! The wind and the rain always seem to be the worse on game nights. Good luck with everything! Now I am done with baseball and off to sit and sit at track meets!!

Miller Moments said...

so yummy! looks like our dinner last night. :)

Linda @ Linda's Lunacy said...

I'm following you back from Friday Follow. Yeah, from last Friday! lol I'm running behind!....

Nicole said...

That looks so delicious!! I'll definitely be doing that with chicken as soon as I get back to my monthly shops.

Hannah Gold said...

Following you back from FF! We love our roaster, too. For bisy nights, I use my crockpot for corned beef, meatballs, chicken, and roasts. It's always ready! You can check out my recipes.

http://keepitsimplesister-mommymommymommy.blogspot.com/

Unknown said...

Are you Irish?
It looks delicious!
Happy Friday !
Following you from FF, please when you get a chance check out my blog and follow me back ?

Cheers !

K
http://halfbrazilianhalfirish.blogspot.com/

VKT said...

I am here from FF and am now following you. I hope you follow me back. Happy Easter.

Sara said...

Thank you for following me, I am now your newest follower

Family-Friendly Product Reviews said...

Happy Friday Follow! I'm your newest follower...if you get a chance, please stop by and follow me too! Have a great weekend!

http://www.mommylivingthelifeofriley.com

Gucci Mama said...

Those look delicious! Happy FF - following you back! ;)

SquirrelQueen said...

Quick and delicious, it doesn't get much better. I love my crock pot but now you've got me thinking about a roaster.

Following you back from FF, have a great weekend.
The Road to Here

♥Yaya's Mommy ♥ said...

OH MY GOSH I am drooling those look sooo good. I so know what I am telling hubby I want for dinner now. :)

Following you back Happy Friday Follow
~Cindi
http://littleyayasandblessed.blogspot.com

The Redhead Riter said...

Looks perfect~!

Kady L. said...

New Friday Follower! Thanks for stopping by my blog (http://takeamomswordforit.blogspot.com)

Love food blogs - though I would love them more if you'd do the cooking for me! ;)

Elaine said...

Hi...now following you from FF. Been looking around....your recipes look great! I'd love it if you'd stop by my place @ At Home 'n About!

Elaine :)

http://athomenabout.blogspot.com

Kel said...

Thanks for the follow. Following you back! Have a great weekend!
Kel

Judy said...

Hi!
I found your blog through Friday Follow and am now following. I am looking forward to all of your recipes!
I would love it if you stopped by my blog: What I Live For
Have a great weekend!

Santa's Gift Shoppe and Ideas said...

Hi..I'm From Friday Follow...I'm new to this but have found such wonderful people doing these parties & link ups. I wish the rest of the world could be as uplifting & supportive to each other as I have experienced.. I hope you can pop over to my blog @ santasgiftshoppe.blogspot.com & find some inspiration for your family/home...I hope you will become a follower too! Happy Easter!! Barb
P.S. Hope to have my own link party April 12th “My Creative Space Monday” @ santasgiftshoppe.blogspot.com
…..Hope you will join up, too.

Coo Coo Courtney said...

Yummy! This definitely made me hungry I'm so happy you came to visit me & I'm even hungrier I mean happier that I came to follow you. I'll be looking forward to your post so come back and visit me anytime. Have a Happy Easter

Anonymous said...

Your gonna make me hungry! Thanks for stopping by from Friday Follow. Enjoy your weekend! - Rita @ One 2 Try.

Java said...

Hello! Love your blog! I found you through Friday follow please feel free to follow me back! Have a great weekend!
http://nevergrowingold.blogspot.com

Tatum said...

Stopping by from FF & now following!!
http://tatumsreviews.blogspot.com/

Marsha said...

Hi! Thanks for stopping by my blog. I'm following you back. Hope you have a blessed Easter weekend.

Veronica Lee said...

Following on FF. Love your blog!!

JennyMac said...

YUM!!! Those tacos look fantastic.

Happy FF! :)

Meghan said...

Coming over from FF

LOVE your blog! I am now a "follower" 

I own a blog/design/scrapbooking/photography/WAHM forum I'd love you to join called My Great Retreat (link is below). Can't wait to keep in touch!

Meghan
http://tuckerstaketennessee.blogspot.com
www.mygreatretreat.com
http://mygreatretreat.blogspot.com

Peggy said...

Thanks for following! I will be following back. I enjoy your blog and the graphics--FUN!!

Brandi said...

Thanks for stopping by my blog. I am now following you back!

Amberlynn said...

Thank you for stopping by Wild Rose! Following you back. Hope you have a great day!

Claudia said...

Grandly, chickeny delicious!

denise @ quickies on the dinner table said...

That looks really delicious and that roaster is amazing! Bet you could fit 3 chickens in it LOL

Mother Rimmy said...

Boy do I remember those baseball years sitting in the stands in rain and sun. I preferred the sun. :)

The tacos look terrific!

Related Posts with Thumbnails
Proud member of FoodBlogs