Share |

Friday, July 16, 2010

Sour Cream Ranch Potato Salad


I am a planner. I make a menu for two weeks, a grocery list that scares the stores checker and I cook. And I cook! And if I am missing an ingredient I try to improvise. That's how this salad came about. It's the Fourth, there has to be potato salad. I bought a jug of mayo just for Loaded Potato Salad. Dagnamit!! I can't find it. It also happens to be days before another big shopping and I REFUSE to go to the store. I could ask The Fireman to grab some on his way home. But that results in other items being purchased. So Sour Cream Ranch Potato Salad is born! Welcome to the party!!

Sour Cream Ranch Potato Salad
1 cup sour cream
2 TB mayo (it's all I can sacrifice)
1/2 cup bread n butter pickles minced
1 TB same pickle jar juice
3 eggs chopped
1 TB Brown deli mustard
1 TB Dijon mustard
1/2 cup of finely diced onions
1 packet of Laura Scrudders Ranch (it's the cheapest)
6 lg potatoes chopped and boiled. Drained

Take 1 cup sour cream, 2 TB mayo,1/2 cup bread n butter pickles minced, 1 TB same juice from the same pickle jar, 3 eggs chopped, 1 TB Brown deli mustard (because its pretty) 1 TB Dijon mustard, 1/2 cup of finely diced onions (my kids used to hate onions so I would cut them so small they would practically disapear. Now they like them and I can't break the habit)

and the secret ingredient; 1 packet of Laura Scrudders Ranch (it's the cheapest) and mix well. Now here I could take the bowl and devour with a bag of chips but I MUST RESIST!!


Add drained potatoes. Always add the potatoes when they are HOT!!

Mix well!!

And this is where I realize I have forgotten the eggs. They're still cooking. (Do you know how to make hard boiled eggs? Here are some directions if you dont know how!) So I taste a couple bites and wait. And taste a couple more bites. OK!! Enough tasting!!

Place in a serving dish (I use a 9x13 dish) and refrigerate at least four hours!
Normally I would sprinkle Paprika on top but the flavors of this aren't suited for Paprika. Hmmm Dill? I'm out. Curse!! Parsley? Check! But as I pick of a couple leaves I curse my grocer. The Parsley lately has been so mature. Big leaves. So I only use a little.


Family Friendly Note My kids loved this because it tasted like Ranch dressing. It can be made in advance and stays for days in the fridge. Leftovers are great for busy moms!








9 comments:

Catherine said...

This looks so fantastic and delicious. My niece is having a birthday party this weekend and asked me to bring something.
I might make this, its a perfect side dish for a summer bbq.

Miller Moments said...

Mmmmmm! You have such great ideas!

Christina said...

soooooooo many recipes!! wow!! newest follower. do follow back if you can please:)

Pam said...

I admire anyone who can improvise and come up with a good dish! This potato salad sounds great! And you know if kids like it, it's darn near perfect!

Hollywood Glamorous said...

Thanks for the follow to Hollywood Chic, already following ;)
Best
Amanda

Unknown said...

thanks for linking up today! and sharing my hop button ;)
have a great weekend
christy Home-Mom.com

HBrummett said...

Hello! I am a new follower from Friday Blog Hops I am enjoying reading your blog! I look forward to reading more! I hope you will visit me at www.livingonloveandcents.blogspot.com Have a wonderful weekend!

Aleksandra Nearing said...

I love my potato salad with sour cream. It is just so light and doesn't have an overwhelming flavor.

Mhel said...

This looks incredibly good!! This is just perfect with grilled chicken or steaks... thanks for sharing this wonderful recipe...

Related Posts with Thumbnails
Proud member of FoodBlogs