Share |

Monday, July 26, 2010

Easy Peasy Spanish Rice


The only way Spanish rice gets easier is to buy it from the corner Mexican restaurant. And I am guilty of that. My son LOVES Spanish rice. He likes it flavorful. I like it more bland since all my Mexican dishes are pretty full of flavor. This is a compromise.
I am using regular rice versus minute rice. You can use whatever is easiest for you. You can even use brown rice. The measurements for liquid are based on the rice I am using. Regular rice is a 2 to 1 ratio water/rice. Minute rice is 1 to 1. Adjust accordingly.

Easy Peasy Spanish Rice
1 cup rice
1 can diced tomatoes (I prefer with jalapenos and onions but only have regular. Use what you like) undrained
1/2 cup diced onions
1 clove garlic minced
1 small can tomato sauce
1/4 cup water
1 TB olive oil

In a medium sauce pan cook the onions until translucent. Do not brown. Do this over medium heat.

Add the garlic and just cook it but again do not brown it.

Add the uncoiled rice. Turn heat up. You want to coat ever piece with the oil in the pan. Toast it gently. You really aren't looking for any color.

Add the tomatoes (tomatoes with jalapenos would be great, but you know I cant!), tomato sauce and water. (you could add 1/2 tsp of cumin but then I wouldn't be compromising would I?) Bring to a boil. Cover and turn heat down to low. Set a timer for 20 minutes. Do not over cook.


Serve with you favorite tacos or top with shrimp or chicken. I'm serving mine with Enchilada Casserole.

2 comments:

Pam said...

That's pretty easy and looks great!

Unknown said...

husb laughed as soon as he saw your post, I have been craving spanish rice all week!!!

Tag, you're it hun!!!
New list starts today, I also Tagged your networked blog account ;)

"Tag,you're it! Thank you so much for playing ;) New list starts today ;) http://bit.ly/bk0yBn

Related Posts with Thumbnails
Proud member of FoodBlogs