Share |

Wednesday, July 7, 2010

Biscuits and Gravy



Tonight I am making a big Southern meal. Chicken Fried Steak, Mashed Potatoes, Biscuits and Gravy. So it will be split up into two blog posts. Biscuit and Gravy tonight and Chicken Fried Steak tomorrow.

I am accused regularly of either cooking Mexican or Southern dishes. Guilty! This is one that the fat police are going to coming knocking. Seriously! This is not for the faint of heart. If you have heart problems, know a cardiologist, or have high cholesterol, avoid this dish! If you are afraid of fat or calories seek another recipe. This is a once a year dish, not once a week.
Growing up, my family made this often. My dad makes the best gravy! I have never asked him the secret to his gravy as I am sure he doesn't think I can cook but over the years I have discovered spicy breakfast sausage is what gives it the flavor. If spicy sausage scares you, go with the regular but my family loves the kick the spicy sausage brings to the pan. Biscuits can either be homemade or out of a can. I like both. I'm not that picky. Tonight I am making them from a box. Don't hate! I am using buttermilk but regular milk is fine too.

Biscuits and gravy

Make your biscuits. Open a can. Whatever works. While they are cooking start browning half a tube of HOT breakfast sausage over medium heat.



With a slotted spoon, transfer the sausage to a bowl. DO NOT TOSS THE OIL!
In the microwave, heat 3 cups of milk. You're just wanting to get the chill off it. 2 minutes max!
Keep the temperature at medium.
Save 3 TB of the dripping. I warned you! Just do it!
Do you see what is missing?

The drippings. There are none. I don't know how it happened. I even rechecked the package. Yep regular hot sausage. So I add 3 TB butter. Yes butter.

Add 3 TB flour to the pan. Mix up and let cook for a minute.
It's to get rid of the "flour" taste.

Slowly add about a cup of the milk, all while whisking. (this is where my camera dies and I am literally grabbing batteries that are stored next to the spices-hidden from xbox addicts and stirring with the other hand. Yes I can multitask!)


Once incorporated, add another cup and a half. Keeping 1/2 cup for in case it's too thick later. Keep stirring. It's a must but worth it!

Add the sausage back into the pan.

Put on lowest temp possible. Let simmer for 15 minutes. This is so the sausage flavors the gravy. If it gets too thick, take the remaining 1/2 cup milk and thin it out.

Serve over Biscuits, Chicken Fried Steak and Mashed Potatoes. Go into a carb coma instantly, but it's worth it!!!

1 comments:

Tiffanee said...

YUM!! Looks so delicious. I have been craving this...I am coming to your house for dinner. Save me a seat.

Related Posts with Thumbnails
Proud member of FoodBlogs