Share |

Thursday, July 29, 2010

Enchilada Casserole


On most days when the Fireman is working I starve the kids. Ya right. We just eat "stuff" he wouldn't eat for dinner. Tonight I am bringing him dinner. It only happens maybe twice a month. He needs dinner tonight. I have asked over and over again "what would you like?" and I keep getting non descript answers. "what ever is easiest for you". Great!

Enchilada Casserole is a busy day recipe. You literally throw it all together. You could assemble in the morning, refrigerate all day and cook at night. This is great to assemble and freeze too. I'm using cheap hamburger but you could use ground turkey or chicken. If you use chicken, swap out the red sauce for green.

Enchilada Casserole
2 LB ground beef/hamburger
1 onion diced
1 can Ortega chilis diced
1 pack of Corn Tortillas
1 cup Sour cream
2 cups shredded cheddar cheese for filling
1 cups shredded cheddar cheese for topping
(Monterrey Jack or Mexican blend works great too)

Brown the beef with the onion and chilis. Salt and pepper to taste. Don't over salt. The sauce is salty. Drain off all the fat.

Mix the beef with the sour cream and cheese. This will be your filling.

Spray 9x13 casserole pan with cooking spray. Pour enough sauce in the pan to coat the bottom and be generous. My family hates a dry enchilada.

Place a layer of tortillas on the bottom of the saucy tray. Tear the tortillas to completely cover all areas.

Cover the tortillas with the filling.

Cover the meat with more tortillas and cover with sauce.

Start the process all over again repeating until you are out of filling or the pan is full.
Cover the top with the remaining cup of cheese.

Bake 350 oven for 30 minutes. You are only heating and melting the cheese since the filling is cooked.

Let sit five minutes before cutting into generous squares and devouring.

6 comments:

The Zany Housewife said...

I think this one is going on my menu for next month!! Have you ever tried it with ground turkey?

Shamrocks and Shenanigans said...

I love it with ground turkey!

TheCraftBarn said...

Yummy! I have a link to this recipe on my blog:
http://thecraftbarn-ny.blogspot.com/2010/08/yummy-wednesday-84.html
Thanks!
Jennifer @ The Craft Barn

The Zany Housewife said...

I made this tonight and LOVED it!

I mentioned it on my blog. Thank you for all your great recipes. My hubby was very happy :)

Miss Vera said...

I put a link to your blog on my blog. Thanks! I enjoy looking at all your recipes.

Cassie said...

I made this for dinner last night with only a couple of changes (mostly because I didn't want to go to the store) and they were a HUGE hit. My husband and our favorite bachelor both kept raving. Thanks for new recipes! This one is here to stay out our house.

Related Posts with Thumbnails
Proud member of FoodBlogs