Share |

Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Spicy Sausage and Shrimp over Cous Cous



I like to pull meals out of nowhere and get them on the table in less than twenty minutes. I have completely fallen off my menu this month. It's true. It happens to the best of us. The Fireman was away. It was just two at home on most nights so I didn't even bother to shop for it. I will use it for the next grocery shopping. Tonight my pantry is bare, my freezer even barer. (is that a word?) I have hamburger or frozen shrimp in the freezer, a bottle of wine and some frozen broccoli. I can make this work!! These are usually my family's favorite meals.


Spicy Sausage and Shrimp over Cous Cous
3 links of spicy sausage (I have hotlinks on hand but anything will do)
1 pound of large shrimp (I took tails off)
4 cloves of garlic minced
1 cup dry wine
1 tsp red pepper flakes
1 bag of frozen broccoli
1/2 lemon juiced
2 boxes of Cous Cous prepared

Start boiling the water for the Cous Cous. If you have never used this before. Its so easy. It cooks in five minutes, unattended and is just pasta that is like rice.
Slice up the sausage and cook in a saute pan. Mine is greasy enough that I dont need to add anything. Save the grease. You will be cooking the shrimp in it. All the spices from it will season the shrimp.

Add the shrimp, dont over cook. Place the shrimp and sausage on a plate. Resist the urge to eat. No really. At this point I am opening the wine and thinking that my family really doesn't need dinner.

Place the frozen broccoli into the same pan you cooked the meat/shrimp in. These are very small so I am just looking to warm them up. They cook fast. Toss them onto a plate too.

Toss the butter into the pan. Melt it up and add all the garlic and cook but dont burn it. Add the wine, red pepper flakes and lemon. Taste and see if it needs some salt and pepper.

Let it all cook for a minute and add the meat and broccoli back to the pan. Make sure everything is covered in the sauce.

Take a fork and fluff up the Cous Cous. Serve the mixture over the Cous Cous. Some Parmesan would be great too!

0 comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails
Proud member of FoodBlogs