Share |

Saturday, August 28, 2010

Sausage & Peppers Subs



"Is that all we are having for dinner," whines The Tortured Teenager.

"Oooh sausage and peppers! Right on!" cheers The Fireman

I guess you can't please everyone all the time.

I guess you have to grow up eating this. Personally this was a regular. One my father could make and would make. The Fireman grew up with his on mashed potatoes. We'll cover that in the winter.

This is quick and easy. I'm gonna give you the basic version. There are a million ways to dress it up and those are another time.


Sausage & Peppers Subs
makes 5 subs

1 pkg Italian sausage (sweet, hot or regular I could only find Mild Italian sausage)
1 red bell pepper sliced (if you have a large family you could double or triple but there are only 2 that will eat them tonight.)
1 orange bell pepper sliced
1 large onion halved and sliced
2 cloves garlic minced
1/2 cup water
Oil
French rolls

These are the sausages I am using. The Fireman prefers one that says "Sweet Italian" on it but these were pretty close without freaking anyone out.

I pop them in a sauce pan. Any frying pan that you can lid will work great. If you dont have a lid for your pan, have some foil handy.

Brown the sausages on all sides on medium high. While you are browning them, cut up your veggies. Get them into a pan sauteing with a little oil or even butter (I love butter) over medium high and when they are just about done, add the garlic.



Once the sausages are brown, add 1/2 cup water to the pan and cover it. This will steam them for the remainder of the cooking. This takes about five minutes. I use a meat thermometer to check. I want them cooked all the way but not tough and over cooked.

I like to toast my buns, whole in the oven. Stick them on a cookie sheet and in the oven at 350. Stick them in when you are just about thinking of adding water to the pan of sausages. Have some provolone cheese handy for when you pull them out. I like to cut them and stick cheese on them immediately so the cheese gets all melted. Stick one sausage on the bun and pile with the veggies.

2 comments:

Pam said...

They look great! Italian sausage is a wonderful thing. I just made some similar to this but haven't posted it yet. Ummmm, sausage and peppers!

Bizee Mama said...

Yum! By Husband will love this! Gonna make it for him possibly tomorrow!
Thanks for the great recipe!

I'm a new follower!
Stop by www.bizeemamax6.blogspot.com and say hi!

I've added your blog to my blog list.

~Kimberly
aka
Bizee Mama

Related Posts with Thumbnails
Proud member of FoodBlogs