Share |

Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Brats with Beer and Onions


"you're cooking your kids in a vat of beer with onions??"

Only my funniest friend from the sticks would ask me that!!

Yes I've got Brats in beer cooking. Sausages, not my kids! Taco Tuesday was forgotten this week. Purely by accident. I promise. I simply forgot what day of the week it was. You are welcome to wrap a tortilla around it if it makes you feel better. I bet it would taste good too!

One package of brats (I'm using the beer ones)
2 small onions for boiling
1 clove of garlic for boiling
2 TB butter for boiling
2 beers (whatever you can pry out of your husbands hands)
3 small onions for topping
2 TB butter for topping
Buns-mine are warmed

Make this once and I promise the men in your house will ask for it again and again.

Slice up 2 small onions and mince
1 clove of garlic

Melt 2 TB butter in a deep frying pan and add the onions. Cook till you get just a tad of color. Then add the garlic. Let cook just until you get a spot of color.


Add the two beers. Bring to a boil

I'm not sure where these beers came from. The Fireman prefers dark beers.

Add the Brats (sausages...not kids)and a pinch of salt (kosher but just a pinch)

Cover and cook 25 minutes on a simmer

While the brats are boiling, cut the other onions. Melt the remanding butter on medium heat and caramelize the onions.




Heat a grill pan or get your hubby to start the BBQ. Place brats on grill and brown.

Do not discard the beer. Uncover and reduce the beer mixture while the brats brown.


Place browned brats in beer. Turn to warm. Let them just sit in the liquid until ready to eat. This is perfect if you are making them for a game!


When ready to eat, place brats in warmed buns. I like to use French rolls. I place on a cookie sheet and place in a 350 degree oven for ten to fifteen minutes.

Top with caramelized onions. I like mustard on mine too.

1 comments:

Catherine said...

This looks and sounds delicious!
Have a wonderful day!
Cheers~

Related Posts with Thumbnails
Proud member of FoodBlogs