Share |

Thursday, August 26, 2010

Grilled Peanut Butter and Jelly



My grandma made these for me as a child. Just let me close my eyes and....ya I'm back in her kitchen. She had red carpet in her kitchen! Red carpet in the family room. Hmm that must be where I get it from? No I do not have red carpet! But I LOVE RED! Yup! Our bedroom comforter...red! The throw blankets in my family room....red! All my accessories...red! Nickname my hubby calls me...you got it! Red!

My grandma didn't make this very often. It's rich! Perfect for the middle of the night or when upset! The last time she made it for me, I was fourteen...no maybe thirteen (I think, it was a long time ago) and I was staying home sick. I wasn't sick but a boy had broke my heart for the very first time. To make matters worse, he was my grandparents paperboy! This town was way too small! My best friend lived around the corner, half the girls I went to school with (not really, I'm exaggeration just a tad) lived in the neighborhood. I was embarrassed. I was hurt! And this sandwich made me feel better. Funny thing! My husband's grandparents also lived in the neighborhood. I didn't know them, or at least I don't remember knowing them. Small world!

So a couple years ago on some cooking show, this sandwich was being made. It's not original for God's sake! Elvis was known for eating it ALL THE TIME! So anyways The Tortured Teenager turned her cute little nose up at the sight of the sandwich! Noooo! I couldn't have that! It's a culinary masterpiece! So just to prove a point, I HAD to make it! She peered from around the corner. In her snotty voice "I guess it smells good but I won't eat that!" hmm but I didn't make it for her! So I cut it and sat right next to her. Oh it's ooey and gooey and rich! She snatched a corner and says "I guess I'll try it but I won't like it!" HAAA! I HAD to make her one! Just because she "wouldn't like it" lol! The Ballplayer on the other hand hadn't discovered his love of peanut butter and jelly on the same sandwich. Back then he only ate peanut butter sandwiches. Who are these kids? How are they related to me???

I haven't made these in years. Just recently The Tortured Teenager asked if I would make them. Her heart wasn't broken. But they forever will be a Heartbreak Sandwich for me.

Grilled Peanut Butter & Jelly

Butter (yes butter! I heart butter! But I am being good and am using Smart Butter)
Peanut Butter
Strawberry jelly (or your favorite)


We like wheat bread. No really! But use what you like. We also like the old fashioned peanut butter but again, use what you like. One requirement-use jelly not that cheap jam. Trust me! Plus the wheat bread makes me not feel so guilty for eating this. Sort of.

Make yourself a PB&J. I personally put butter under my jelly. Don't ask why! My grandma did it, my dad did it, my husband does it. Everyone claims it keeps the jelly from making the bread soggy. I have never tested this theory. I am afraid to. Resist the urge to take to the table and eat.

Butter both sides of the sandwich.
Now grill it like a grilled cheese making sure both sides are perfectly golden brown.

I got a little sloppy with my jelly. This will be my first bite!

Carefully flip. Oooh more jelly. Now which side will I eat first?

Serve. I like to let it sit just a minute. (Let rest!) I've burned the roof of my mouth one too many times.

Remember I said to let it rest...proof I cut it too soon. Ooozing peanut butter.

Serve with milk. Really it is must!

4 comments:

Pam said...

What a great story! Shame on the paper boy but at least grandma came to the rescue! I love red too, my kitchen is red and white.

This sandwich is a new one to me, never had it grilled but it looks great! I usually ate PB sandwiches with Miracle Whip. Wonder how that would be grilled?

Miller Moments said...

I can't imagine! I may have to make one just out of curiosity! :)

Miss Vera said...

I just learned about this sandwich several years ago. It is delicious!!!

Michele N said...

Okay, I had never before seen a grilled peanut butter sandwich, but just might have to try it. :o)

Related Posts with Thumbnails
Proud member of FoodBlogs