Share |

Saturday, September 4, 2010

Salisbury Steak


There is restaurant cooking which is all pretty and made with ingredients you usually would not see at home, and then there is home cooking with is made with cheaper cuts, may not look pretty, photograph nicely but gives you a rush of comfort. Tonight's meal is the later. It is reminiscent of a 1950's dish, affordable (although we are going to dress it up a bit with some current products), could be cooked to feed an army and transports you back to the first time you ate it.

Some can argue that this is a grown up version of Salisbury Steak. Completely on point. Hamburger patties covered in a rich beef gravy served with mashed potatoes. One addition that would definitely make this better is mushrooms. I dont have any and the battle with the kids almost makes it not worth it. Find some of those compartmentalize trays and serve in front of the TV and you really will feel morphed into 1950.

Salisbury Steak
2 lbs Ground Beef (I'm using really cheap but you will be draining the fat off)
Patties
1/2 cup seasoned bread crumbs
1 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp onion powder
1 tsp seasoned salt
1 tsp parsley (I used dried)
1 tsp oregano (again dried)
1 tsp cracked pepper
1 egg
1 TB Worcestershire sauce

Sauce
1 onion halved and then sliced
3 TB flour
2 cups beef stock
2 TB Marsala
2 TB Worcestershire sauce


First things first! Need to make the patties. Take all the ingredients for the patties and mix up like you would to make a meatloaf, careful to not over mix.
Shape into Patties. This is just like making hamburgers. I was able to make six very thick patties.
Cook in a Medium high saute pan that you can make the sauce in right after. I can only cook four at a time. Make sure they are fully cooked but not overcooked.
Place them on a plate and continue cooking the rest. Set aside. I didn't even worry about them getting cold. They will soak/reheat in the gravy.
Remove all but about two TB of the drippings. If you are really watching your waist (as I should be doing) remove ALL the drippings careful to not disturb the crunchy bits on the bottom of the pan (all flavor) and add 2 TB of canola or olive oil. Add the onions.
scape the bottom of the pan to get all the crunchy bits. They really give the onions some color. Make sure that you cook the onions. The color is misleading.
add the flour and let cook for a minute.
Add the Marsala and the beef stock. Keep stiring through the process. It will tighten up. add the Worcestershire sauce and taste to see if it needs salt and pepper. Lower to a simmer.
Add the meat back to the pan.
I like to carefully flip the meat to make sure it soaks the meat.
Let simmer for five to ten minutes.
I served over my Smashed Potatoes

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Steak, cornbreads...I'm so following your blog. I found it on the 40+ blog hop and I'm so glad I did! I hope you get a chance to come visit and follow my blog too. I'd like for us be blogging buddies. You can't have too many of those, right? Again, wow, what great recipes you have here.

Anonymous said...

I've actually never made these before but keep meaning to. I agree on the point about mushrooms though, they would make a nice addition and a bit of garlic perhaps?
Pretend this is from yesterday, I'm only getting around to friendship friday now...:)

Cathy said...

Yum! That looks delicious! I'm your newest follower from the blog hops. Nice to meet you!

Related Posts with Thumbnails
Proud member of FoodBlogs