Share |

Sunday, September 12, 2010

Family Favorite Chocolate Cake


There are very few cake recipes that I make that my buddies Betty or Duncan did not help make. Yes, it is true! I am a box cake making fool! Put your nose up in the air all you want! I cook! I can make a corned beef like nobody. Chile Verde that has even my Mexican friends scratching their heads. But cakes....they stump me! There are a few that I am a peace with. But most end up with disappointment. so I am proud of my box cake recipes. I make them special. I have fooled the best. Do not judge...oh hell with it. Judge me!

This week was The Fireman's birthday. It was a big number birthday. There were no big parties. Just family around our old family table laughing, and giggling! It was this birthday that The Tortured Teenager proclaimed "we can go to breakfast and you can get the senior discount" or "gee dad, we both are seniors this year!" All in good fun, well, maybe a little poking fun.

My cake was a hit. If you don't bake or don't like to bake, like me, this is a very easy and very foolable! (new word, just go with it!) Normally, most of my family can not eat chocolate (feel sorry for us!) but this recipe does not seem to trigger the migraines. I think it contains "fake" chocolate. Fake chocolate is good for my family.

Family Favorite Chocolate Cake

1 chocolate cake mix
4 eggs (the mix calls for 3)
1 1/3 cup water
1/3 cup melted butter
1 TB Jack Daniels

Mix all the above ingredients and put into greased and floured 9x9 round cake pans

Bake in a preheated 350 degree oven for 25 minutes

let cool

Whip Cream Filling
1 tub of Cool Whip
1 small package of Fudge Instant Pudding

In a mixing bowl mix 1 tub of Cool Whip with one small box of fudge instant pudding mix. Mix well so it isn't gritty. Resist the urge to grab a spoon and forget the cake. No really! I was fighting two daughters through this process!

Once the cake is cooled, put the first layer down on the cake platter. You can line the platter with wax paper but I find I am not that messy. Put ALL the whip cream frosting on the first layer of cake. Pile it on. Smooth it out, and lick the spatula after. No really!

Place the second cake layer on the whip cream covered layer. Cover with 1 tub of Chocolate Frosting. I told you I cheat! Buy the tub! I dare you! Or make you own but cover the entire cake.

Refrigerate for one hour. Put a lock on the refrigerator. Seriously

1 comments:

The Zany Housewife said...

I'm always down to learn new cake recipes...using box mixes or not. And good ol' Jack! Interesting. I'm definitely going to put that down on my list of things to try out. I just love all of your recipes!

Related Posts with Thumbnails
Proud member of FoodBlogs