Share |

Monday, September 20, 2010

Bangers & Mash



Being the klutz I am, I rolled my ankle last week. Yep sprained it good. I mean if you had your choice of doing a job you might as well do it right. I'm a all or nothing kind a girl so I sprained it all the way. Needless to say I have been staying off it. Which equates to not cooking much. It's been a long week of leftovers, pizza, more leftovers and some top ramen. Remember The Fireman doesn't cook. He claims he does at work but I have seen no proof. I think be reheats well.

Today is the day I have had enough of crappy food. I have no groceries and frankly I don't think I am ready to hobble around for that yet. So I'm sending The Fireman to the store for just enough to get us by the next couple days. Hopefully.

The other problem I have is baseball. This weekend has been overfilled with it and we're not done yet. So either I cook something really fast or I make something that can simmer all day. Ahh decisions decisions. Finally I decided on making some comfort food. Bangers and Mash!

Quite quick to make and very satisfying. The mashed potatoes take the longest to make. I like to cover my Bangers in an onion gravy made with Guinness...well of course Guinness!


Bangers and Mash
1-2 packages of Irish sausages (Johnsonville has some great ones but if the Irish ones are no where to be found, Brats will do just fine. I like to not use Italian sausages though.) My family used 1 package
2 onions sliced
1 clove of garlic minced
1 Guinness
1/2 cup chicken stock
1 TB flour
4 TB butter
salt and pepper to taste

Prepared mashed potatoes. Mine are just potatoes, butter, sour cream and salt & pepper. The gravy is rich so you dont need much in the potatoes.

Get your potatoes in the pot and boiling while you make the rest of this meal. It all comes together about the same time.
Toss the sausages (or Bangers) in a pan. Prick them with a fork so they dont burst (I actually had The Tortured Teenager ask me if the package reads "Prick em so they dont explode") Cook on Medium high until cooked thoroughly.


While the Bangers are cooking, take the butter and melt it in a pan on Medium high heat. Add the onions and cook until nice and brown. Add the garlic.

Add the flour and let cook a minute.

Add the beer...all of it, or drink part of it. Mine was a BIG bottle so The Fireman was waiting for his portion. I like to cook with Guinness but I'm not so keen on drinking it.

Add the chicken stock. Beef would work here too. You could even use water. Salt and pepper to taste. I actually put quite a bit of salt in mine. The beer takes the salt well and counteracts the flavor well.

Serve with Peas. Why Peas? Because my Gram said so and Heaven knows I better not go against her! So serve Peas!

4 comments:

The Zany Housewife said...

Oh you're killing me. That's it. I have to have this sometime this week. I just made some Soda Bread too...

Anonymous said...

Wow all I can say is that you are a great writer! Where can I contact you if I want to hire you?

Shamrocks and Shenanigans said...

Thank you! I only cook for fun at this point. If you have any questions, you can email me at shamnshen@gmail.com

Anonymous said...

how are you?

Looking forward to your next post

Related Posts with Thumbnails
Proud member of FoodBlogs