Share |

Thursday, September 9, 2010

Quick Cinnamon Pastry


In an attempt to rid my tree of apples I bought a refrigerator crust. You know why I did it? I hate baking. I felt controlled by those dang apples. They are still on my counter. Feel free to come by and grab some. Anyways I've been feeling cranky lately. Not a good thing. I need a sweet bite. I never need sweet bites. I dare the carb police to stop me! So in an attempt to save my family from my crankiness I am making a pastry of such. Everyone remembers their grandmothers making cinnamon cookies off the pie cut offs. At least I do. It was the best part of pie making. She would sprinkle brown sugar mixed with cinnamon. Heaven. So that's what I did today! I've made one giant cookie out of pie crust!!! Cut into wedges and I promise this bite is affecting my mood. My family (well the boys) are fighting over the little wedges. The Fireman wants me to make two next time. You could add nuts to the filling. I love pecans. Unfortunately my kids don't agree with me!!

Quick Cinnamon Pastry
1 box refrigerator pie crust
1/3 cup brown sugar
1/3 cup white sugar
1/2 TB cinnamon
3 TB butter softened

Glaze ingredients
1/3 cup powdered sugar
2-3 TB orange juice

Combine the sugars, butter and cinnamon in a bowl. Don't be too crazy mixing it up.

Spray a cookie sheet with some Pam. Unroll one of the pie crusts on the cookie sheet
Spread out the Sugar mixture on the pie crust
Roll the second pie crust out over the first. Take a fork and crimp the edges. Take the same fork and put four random pricks in the top.
Bake in a preheated 375 degree oven for 15-18 minutes. 15 is where I started but remember my oven is prehistoric so it took a few extra minutes. Take out when nice and brown.

While baking combine the glaze ingredients. Mix well. I neglected to take a photo this. The Ballplayer came home from school and his tales of his day were far more interesting. Drizzle the glaze over the cooked pastry. Let cool for ten minutes.

My son, The Ballplayer said "you made a giant poptart!" OK sorta! Cut into wedges.
Related Posts with Thumbnails
Proud member of FoodBlogs