Share |

Sunday, September 5, 2010

Apple Crisp



Having been raised in a family that used every resource of food provided, I find it odd that I am not more eager to use all the apples on my counter top. I come from a long line of women that would can, preserve, every ounce of leftover food. I have not learned that process. It does interest me but yet I have not been bitten by it yet. And so two bowls of apples off the tree in our back yard sit...and wait...and rot! Yes rot! I have expressed my dislike to baking and here I am making not one but two fruit crisps tonight. Crisps are probably the only pie sort of thing I will make. I capable of making a pie but find it as appealing to make as cleaning the bathroom. I know there must be something wrong with me.


Apple Crisp
5 cups of thinly sliced tart apples
3/4 cup of packed brown sugar
1 cup of flour
1/2 cup of oatmeal (I am out from making the last crisp so I am using 1 oatmeal packet...dont judge)
1/2 cup + 3 TB butter cut into cubes
1 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp nutmeg

Preheat oven to 375

slice up all the apples and dump into a 9x9 baking dish that has been greased with butter. I like to sprinkle 2 TB white sugar and 1 tsp cinnamon over the apples and toss. Completely optional. It's the cooking side of my brain coming out. I can not follow a recipe ever when baking.

In a bowl mix the flour, oatmeal, brown sugar and all the spices with the butter until you get a crumbly mixture. If you are against using your hands like I like to do, you could pulse in a food processor. I find it is one more thing to clean and licking my fingers is a nice distraction from having to bake.


Cover apples with the crumb mixture and bake for one hour. If you pour into a more shallow pan you can get away with baking less.


Serve warm with a scoop of vanilla ice cream.

2 comments:

Michele N said...

I'm glad you "like" your fingers! lol, actually it looks good. I wish I lived closer to get some of those extra apples. :o)

Chef Dennis Littley said...

My girls love apple crisp! Your looks delicious, just what we need to welcome in the fall!

Related Posts with Thumbnails
Proud member of FoodBlogs