Share |

Wednesday, November 28, 2012

Is Spinach Dip only for Christmas?



I don't make this very often. It isn't because its hard to make. It's very easy. It just seems to be only made around the holidays. Most of the other get togethers, I am known for making Spicy Spinach and Artichoke Dip or Baked Pub Cheese. But each time I make this dip, I get rave reviews and it happens to be one of The Tortured Teenager's all time favorites. She looks for it each and every Thanksgiving and Christmas. I really should make it for her more often.

Be sure to make this either the night before or early the morning of. It really needs to refrigerate at least two hours for the flavors to combine. The Tortured Teenager happens to love it the second day when she can start taking apart the bread bowl I place it into.

I have never tried to lighten this dip up using light mayo or light or fat free sour cream. This year I just may have to make a small batch and see if the taste is different. Let me know if you try it lightened up and if it is a hit.

I put Parmesan cheese in my dip. I don't think it is traditionally in the original dip. I like the way the salty Parm plays off the crisp water chestnuts. But I am a cheese freak.

Spinach Dip
1 package of Knorr's Leek or Vegetable dip mix (Leek is preferred but very hard to find)
2 cup of sour cream
1 cup of mayo
3 green onions diced
1 rib of celery diced
1 can of chopped water chestnuts (find them on the Asian aisle)
1 cup of fresh grated Parmesan cheese
1 box of frozen chopped spinach-thawed and drained
1 sourdough bread bowl

To drain the spinach, take a clean dish towel and wring the spinach out in it. You will be amazed how much water comes out the spinach. Place into a very large mixing bowl and break the spinach up. Sometimes I chop it up additionally if it looks like it isn't chopped finely.

To the bowl of spinach, add the additional ingredients (except the bread bowl) and mix well.
Be sure you get chopped water chestnuts! For some reason I bought them whole and have to chop them myself.

Cut off the top of the bread bowl.

Hallow it out of the bread but do it carefully so you can use the bread to dip the spinach dip in. I like to cut the inside of the bowl into quarters, carefully not going through the crust. Then I take the knife and line out the interior. Carefully pull out all the bread. Chop up and but back into the original bag the bowl came in. Since the dip will need to refrigerate, there is no need to have the bread drying out in the refrigerator.

Place the dip inside the bread bowl. It all will fit just perfectly.
Place onto a serving dish that is big enough for the bread to surround the bowl. Cover with saran wrap and refrigerate for at least two hours. I like to do it the night before.
When ready to serve, place the bread you saved around the bowl.

0 comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails
Proud member of FoodBlogs