Share |

Monday, January 10, 2011

Roast Beef with Roasted Potatoes and Pan Gravy

What have I not cooked for my blog? When shopping I try to look for items I haven't covered yet. Recently, eye of round roasts were on sale. Love roast beef. Roast beef is different from pot roast. I make pot roast quite a bit. It's a cheap cut of meat and I can usually get two meals out of it. Pot Roast cooks low and slow until the meat falls apart. Roast Beef is the opposite. It cooks hot and fast. The meat is best when pink inside. I love it but The Fireman likes his beef DEAD. I'm not kidding. I don't mind if the cow talks to me while I eat it. The Fireman wants his to be leather before he eats it. I'm not feeling I will feel the love after I cook this. I might have to save the end pieces for him. Or cover with some gravy. Yep! That's gonna be the trick.
You will this meal because it is all made in one pan. From roasting to gravy. Add a salad and dinner is done.

Roast Beef with Roasted Potatoes and Pan Gravy
1 eye of round roast
garlic powder
black pepper
Kosher Salt
4 Potatoes peeled and cut into big chunks
seasoned salt for potatoes
Gravy:
1 cup red wine
Beef broth/stock
Wonder Flour
Drippings from beef

Preheat oven to 400

Remove from meat refrigerator thirty minutes before baking.

Season all sides.

Brown all sides in a well oiled cast iron skillet.
Add potatoes to the pan and season the potatoes with Seasoned Salt and pepper. I like to toss them in the juice/drippings that are in the pan before putting in the oven. It's my little trick.
Bake at 400 degrees for 15 minutes per pound or until the internal temp is the desired temp. I Have one of those Pop up thermometers in my roast. I am just watching the oven closely thru the window. Yes I am that lame.

Remove meat and potatoes from the cast iron skillet. Do not dump drippings.Let rest until gravy is done. Place meat on serving plate.

Make gravy in same pan as you cooked meat in. Heat stove to medium high. De-glaze pan with 1 cup of red wine.
Add 2 TB wonder-flour stirring entire time.

Add 1 cup of beef stock. Taste to see if it needs any salt or pepper.

Slice meat thinly and serve with gravy

1 comments:

dining table said...

I like this recipe of yours. The roast beef looks so nice and cooked perfectly. I have always thought of making something like that.

Related Posts with Thumbnails
Proud member of FoodBlogs