Share |

Friday, October 28, 2011

Just Another Potato Salad

"what's for dinner tonight?" I hear it every night. I usually in some boring manner spit out what I am cooking. Tonight I am making Just another Potato Salad. I can call it that because it is different every time I make it, no matter if one child requests it to be a certain way. It just depends on what I have on hand. If I am low on Mayo, it will be a Sour Cream Potato Salad (which is really tasty) no mayo at all, then German Potato Salad (which takes me back to a deli when I was a child. Add onions, olives and eggs and its The Fireman's Granny's Potatoes Salad (haven't made that one for you yet) and the possibilities are endless. I am a potato addict. I am easy to please as long as it is a potato. My family, not so easy to please.

Just Another Potato Salad

10 potatoes peeled, cubed
1/2 cup light mayo
1/2 cup light sour cream
3 hard boiled eggs diced
2 dill pickle spears diced (or 1 TB relish)
1 TB sweet pickle relish
1 TB Dijon mustard
1 TB yellow mustard
1 stalk celery diced
1 green onion diced
1/2 cup red onion diced
salt and pepper to taste

boil your potatoes in SALTY water until fork tender
in a very large bowl start mixing the rest of the ingredients. Mayo
Notice I am using light may hoping that the calories will make a difference for the mound of potatoes that will end up on my plate. Somehow I will make an excuse "how did I scoop so much?"
Light sour cream, again, same excuse...
really after all the STUFF I put in this potato salad you really do not notice that you used light products though
Three eggs. This is a science after all and two eggs would be too little and four eggs too much.
There is no pretty way to cut up eggs. I have tried every way possible. It is ugly.
Into the party bowl
I like the chunks of the dill pickle as opposed to the relish. But only for the dill.
This doesnt hold true for the sweet relish. But I need both. Dont ask why.
The Tortured Teenager likes potato salad with yellow mustard. So yellow mustard she will have.
She doesnt know that I will have Grey Poupon too. I feel snobby saying it.
And because I for some reason have celery in my frig, we will have some in this salad. It makes The Fireman happy.
I have found the key to really good potato salad is HOT potatoes. When I younger trying to learn my way around the kitchen I thought you needed to let them cool off (mayo...eggs...make you sick....) anyways the hot potatoes and the sauce mixes and it does something magical. It makes me all mushy or maybe that is just my stomach growling. Mix it all right away
Oops red onion. I forgot the red onion!!! Dice some up. You only need 1/2 cup

ya baby!!!
taste it!!!! quality control.
heaven!!!

0 comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails
Proud member of FoodBlogs