Share |

Friday, October 21, 2011

Whole Wheat Mac & Cheese for Two

It's game day and I am making some yummy grub to go along with some BBQ to much on while watching the game. The Fireman is grilling Caramelized Bacon & Onion Sliders and I thoughts that some somewhat healthy (who am I kidding?) mac & cheese would be perfect with it. Normally I would make a huge 9x13 pan but The Tortured Teenager is off at college and The Ballplayer is back to thinking cheese is evil so it's just the two of us eating it. It's seems pretty silly to make very much. I can only get The Fireman to eat so many leftovers. After one day. His agreeableness becomes much like the kids. So I have learned over the years to only cook what I need.



Whole Wheat Mac & Cheese for Two
2 TB butter
2 TB flour
1 cup milk (at least 2 %)
1 cup cheese (I used cheddar)
1/2 cup jack cheese
1/2 cup cheddar for topping
1 tsp dry mustard
3 cups prepared whole wheat pasta

butter your dish you will be baking your pasta in.


Melt you butter in a sauce pan over medium heat.
Add the flour and let it cook for a couple minutes. It will get bubble but the couple minutes is to get rid of the flour taste that tastes yucky
Put your milk in a micro safe container and micro for one minute. It isnt to really heat but to get the cold chill off. Add to the pan and whisk the whole time. Keep whisking. It will start to thicken up to an thin gravy consistency
Add the mustard. I didn't use a spoon but my palm. I'm too good for spoons. If you do not have dry mustard, I have used sandwich mustard in a pinch. It works.
Add the cheese and keep whisking. Resist grabbing some bread and changing recipe to fondue night. I am not kidding.
I mean really, how can you resist this? I want to add chilis and start dipping tortilla chips
Add your noodles and stir well
I could eat it right here..out of the pan.
pour into the greased pan
and resist taking to the table and forgetting that your husband is cooking dinner
Add the remainder of cheese
and bake 350 just until the cheese is melted.
Serve!!

1 comments:

Christine said...

I am not normally a mac and cheese kind of girl, but I have been craving it lately and yours looks like the perfect fix. Yummy.

Related Posts with Thumbnails
Proud member of FoodBlogs