Share |

Monday, October 17, 2011

Roasted Jalapeno Cheese Dip


Roasted Jalapeno Cheese Dip

I planted jalapenos in my garden this year. I was so excited thinking I would have so many I wouldn't know what to do with them. These are not my jalapenos from my garden. I did get peppers but they had zero heat. I used 8 in a salsa recipe that usually calls for 2. It was an epic fail. Guess I will stick to tomatoes.

This really is a favorite in our house and gets made quite often. The Tortured Teenager loves the bread bowl that this is put in. She has been know to break off a piece of the bowl. It really is that good though. There is something about the way the cheese bakes into the bread. When it is just The Fireman and myself I will make a smaller batch in a mini bread bowl. Usually I have all the ingredients in my house which makes it easy to whip up. You do not have to bake it in a bread bowl. You could toss this into an oven save dish. I have this too. Just serve with tortilla chips.

Roasted Jalapeno Cheese Dip

1 sourdough bread bowl
1/2 cup light mayo
1 block of cream cheese (I am using light) softened (and if you forget which I ALWAYS DO-put into a bowl and into the micro on 20% power for 1 minute)
1 cup cheddar cheese grated
2 jalapenos roasted, de-veined, chopped
tortilla chips


First thing. Toss two jalapenos onto the grill.
Grill them until they are BLACK!
Now put in a bowl and toss wrap over it. Walk away. Or start on every thing else.
Next part is kinda messy. Take all the black skin off. Do not rinse under the sink (well rinse and soap up your hands but not the pepper) and chop it up. Dump into a bowl with the softened cream cheese
Now grate about a cup of cheese. I am not measuring the cheese. If its more than a handful (and my hands are childlike small) then it is a cup
I like to grate my own cheese. I think it taste better. But sometimes I get lazy and buy the bagged stuff. Add The mayo. Sometimes I add extra. Hey, its light and since I added too much cheese I had to add extra.
Mix well and really..no I am being serious here, try to resist grabbing the bread and making a quick snack. I am not saying I have ever done that. No. Not me.
Now, Lob off the top of the sourdough bread. is lob a word?
I take a serated knife (a steak knife to be exact) and go around the entire outer edge of the loaf. Then cut the inside in a cross. It just makes it easier to pull the bread out in chunks and then cut those chunks into smaller chunks to dip into the melted cheese
Now pour your uncooked dip (that you are not making a snack out of) into the bread bowl
Oh and put the bread bowl onto a cookie sheet. Really I am not sure if that is so needed. I have yet to have a bread bowl explode in my oven but for safety reason, I guess we should keep with doing it. Why break tradition?
Bake 350 preheated oven for 30 minutes
Serve with the cubed bread and Tortilla chips
Look out mouth!!

1 comments:

Candace said...

This would be a huge hit in our house. I'm pinning this to make soon. Love the bread bowl and the browned cheese. Perfect!

Related Posts with Thumbnails
Proud member of FoodBlogs