Share |

Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Sausage Roll

Every kid I know grew up on pig in a blankets. Simply cocktail wieners or hotdogs rolled up in puff pastry or crescent roll dough. I remember having these as a kid. I liked mine with mustard. I could eat these even as an adult but I want to mature them a bit. A grown up version. You could change these up in endless options. Your fillings are endless. I just have to warn you that the smell of these cooking will torture you. I had each member of the family coming into the kitchen wanting to know when they would be done. The phyllo pastry that I am using makes them look so formal but the Italian sausage keeps them feeling like comfort food.


Sausage Rolls

Pastry dough (either puff pastry or refrigerator dough I am using phyllo dough)
1 lb good quality pork sausage (80/20)
1/2 cup super diced red onions
1 egg beaten


350 degree oven 30 min
Take the casing off the sausage. Dump into a mixing bowl, add onions
Mix well
Forgot the garlic. Add garlic and mix well....again
roll out the phyllo dough. I grab about six pieces at a time. Spray with some canola spray.
Dump some sausage on the sheet and roll up
Each six sheets should make two rolls. spray the roll with canola spray and place on a cookie sheet


Bake until golden brown and the sausage inside is completely cooked
Just to make sure the sausage is fully cooked, I am using a instant read thermometer
I always dipped my pigs in a blanket in mustard. So today I am making a homemade honey mustard. Add equal parts light mayo, dijon mustard and honey to a bowl and mix well

Serve!




1 comments:

Cherry Rolla said...

Oh Em Gee!! How I love everything you make. Those are going to be added to my grocery list next week!

Related Posts with Thumbnails
Proud member of FoodBlogs