Share |

Friday, September 23, 2011

Cast Iron Fried Potatoes

Ever go to a restaurant for a really good breakfast and the home fries are so tasty that you could have just eaten a plate of them for breakfast? We all have. Thankfully I didn't gorge myself on the potatoes in the restaurant. I do have some self control after all. Well sort of.

These potatoes have been in my family since I was old enough to remember. My father would fry them up for dinner along side to a cube steak or make them for breakfast with his famous omelette. I can smell the omelette just from memory. He makes it like a fritatta except no fancy word like fritatta was ever used. But the potatoes were always my favorite, always going back for seconds and then picking at them in the kitchen while cleaning up the mess.

The key to these babies is the pan. It has to be a cast iron pan. I am quite in love with mine. I had one from my family year ago that was destroyed by a teen putting it in the dishwasher. I was a wreck over it. Not that they are expensive. You can pick one up for twenty bucks and it will last forever but the key is how you clean them, seasoning them so they flavor the next meal. They are worth the work of not using the dish washer. This pan will leave a crusty, crispy texture that frankly you don't get with a Teflon pan.


Cast Iron Fried Potatoes

Potatoes, cleaned with skins
1 onion chopped
Lemon Pepper seasoning
Oil
Cast Iron Pan

First thing, wash those potatoes. I am using 6 moderately size potatoes. Really these are not that big, as I wouldn't choose them for baking.Heat up your pan on Medium high heat. Coat the bottom of the pan with oil. I am using canola but vegetable would work. I just do not recommend olive oil due to the temperature although I have used it when nothing else is present and have had good results. But I am a potato girl. As long as they are not burned I will eat them....well even if they are burnt, I probably would eat them.
Chop and drop the potatoes in the panAdd the onion. Add your seasonings. I like Lemon Pepper but Season All would be perfect tooSometimes I add some garlic powder and red pepper flakes. Go crazy
Toss and let all the potatoes get covered in the oil and then do not touch for a couple minutes. You have to give them a chance to crust up and brownFlip and again let those babies brown. Cover with a lid. It doesn't have to fit perfectly. You are just steaming real quick to ensure they are all nice and tender. It wont affect your crunchiness. Promise. You are cooking with a cast iron pan. This is perfection.Flip and ensure just one more time that you didn't miss any potatoes. I mean, really I cooked way too many potatoes but how can a girl resist? And this is why I run every day. PotatoesServe...or eat out of the pan at the stove.

3 comments:

Candace said...

I could eat a whole plate of these. Yum!

Erised said...

I've been looking for the "fool proof" way to make skillet potatoes and & think I've found it! The cover! How could I forget about the cover? When I make them, I get the browning, but the centers never really seem to be done enough. I think you've hit the nail on the head to solve my problem! Thanks!

And btw- - LOVE the name of the blog!

From one Irish girl to another, Thanks!

Shamrocks and Shenanigans said...

You can also throw the potatoes into the micro for five minutes to pre cook them. I've done that a ton of times. Glad you're enjoying the blog :)

Related Posts with Thumbnails
Proud member of FoodBlogs