Share |

Tuesday, December 18, 2012

Almond Icebox Rounds

I made these little gems for my Christmas baking last year and they were probably my favorite. It shows how much my taste have changed. I love love love (yes I just used the word love three times) butter cookies and almond flavor. I found myself looking for imperfect cookies that couldnt be put into my Christmas Cookie Boxes so I could pop them into my mouth. Making a little pile of imperfect cookies so I would have them for later. Not caring about all the chocolate goodies on the table waiting to be mailed. I added these to my baking list for future years to come, and list I mean a two page list that The Tortured Teenager and I plowed through in one day with the help of two ovens and some well choreographed planning. I found these on Better Homes and Gardens website. I am sure it was on AOL's front page or something because I never go to BHG website. These were very fast to make. I put the dough together in no time and then refrigerated, sliced and had baked and cooled before you know it. These are a keeper.


Almond Icebox Rounds
recipe adapted from Better Homes and Gardens


1 cup butter, softened
1 3 ounce package cream cheese, softened
2/3 cup sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
1/4 teaspoon almond extract
2 cups all-purpose flour
3/4 cup slivered almonds, toasted and chopped
2/3 cup sliced almonds, chopped


In a large mixing bowl, combine butter and cream cheese until smooth. Add sugar, salt, vanilla, and almond extract. Mix until combined. Add in as much of the flour a cup at a time as you can with the mixer. Using a wooden spoon, stir in any remaining flour and the 3/4 cup toasted almonds.
I had to cut my nuts up
Divide dough in half. Shape each half into a log. Roll each log of dough in 2/3 cup almonds. Wrap each log in plastic wrap or waxed paper. Chill about 6 hours or until dough is firm enough to slice.

Cut rolls into 1/4-inch slices. Place slices 1 inch apart on the prepared cookie sheet.
Bake in the preheated oven for 12 to 14 minutes or until edges are lightly browned.

1 comments:

Meg @ A Dash of Nutmeg said...

Those look so tasty, and I am a sucker for almond-flavored cookies. Never used cream cheese in a cookie recipe before, but it sounds good. Probably lowers the cholesterol in the recipe, too, since it seems to be taking the place of an egg.

Related Posts with Thumbnails
Proud member of FoodBlogs