Share |

Saturday, December 4, 2010

Candied Yams

I try to not make this dish only in November. Really it gets made around Christmas too. I can't help but to make it. It is so yummy that it really should not be a side dish but a dessert but I wont move it to the dessert table. Not me. I can't get the Ballplayer to try this. His sister and I could make fools out of ourselves picking at the dish all night. He wont touch it.

If you have an aversion to the canned variety of this dish, you will be thrilled! No cans were opened for this. It takes a little longer to roast the yams but you loose the texture issue that so many complain about with the canned version.

Candied Yams

4 yams peeled and chopped
3 TB Butter
1/2 cup brown sugar (not packed)
1 tsp cinnamon
1/2 cup of chopped pecans
1 cup of miniature marshmallows

Take the cut yams and toss in the butter in a baking tray. I like to use a 9x13 type of dish. Cover with foil and cook 45 minutes in a 375 degree oven. Uncover and sprinkle the brown sugar and cinnamon. Toss well, and bake for an additional 15 minutes. Top with the marshmallows and crank up the oven to 425 degrees. Bake ten minutes or until golden brown.



You will notice I am missing some pictures. That is what happens when you are excited about a dish. We ate the dish before pictures could be taken. Bad for the blog but oh so good for us.

0 comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails
Proud member of FoodBlogs