Share |

Wednesday, April 4, 2012

Chipotle Chicken Tortilla Soup

Chicken Tortilla Soup is a family favorite that everyone in the house will eat. I don't have one member that wont eat it which is amazing considering how picky some of my members are. And really it is amazing that my picky kids love this so much considering how packed with vegetables it is, but they love it. My kids love spicy foods. They will pack tabasco sauce on just about everything so I have make sure that this soup have the right amount of spice and flavor. I found that Chipotle peppers give a spicy heat and a smoky flavor. We have been hooked for the last couple years. This soup comes together pretty fast, maybe 45 minutes but you could put it in a crock pot and let it simmer for a couple of hours. I find it is best the next day.

Chipotle Chicken Tortilla Soup

2 chicken breast
2 TB oil
1/2 cup oil
4 tortillas
salt and pepper
2 carrots
1 cup frozen corn
1-2 cloves garlic
1-4 TB chipotle adobo sauce
1 TB cumin
1 can black beans or pinto beans
1 cube frozen cilantro or 2 Tb fresh cilantro
1 box chicken stock
4 cups water

I found this in Trader Joes, It is great for when I don't have any cilantro
isn't this amazing
salt and pepper
once cooked cut up and and add to the soup
Add one Tb oil to your stock pot
chop up your vegetables
Brown the carrots over medium high heat with the garlic. I love the flavor the browned vegetables add to the soup
Add your chicken broth. When available go for a lower sodium broth so you can control the salt
I can not say this enough....always rinse your beans. They are canned in this slimy liquid that is full of sodium
Add four cups of water. I like the way it tastes when you water down the broth, letting the vegetables and the other flavors come through in the broth
Usually I buy the chipotle peppers in adobo sauce but I accidentally grabbed the can of just sauce. This will work just as good
Just spoon it out
Add in a TB of the chipotle sauce at a time, stiring and tasting as you go, my family likes the heat so we can really take the heat and will add a couple of these babies. I recommend you taste as you go


Add the cumin, um somebody forgot to put this on the grocery list. We are dangerously low on cumin!!!
Add the cilantro and chicken
Add the whole can of green chilis with the juice
Add the corn in the last ten minutes. I scored some roasted corn from Trader Joes, it is frozen but will taste so good with tonight's flavors
soup is read, the corn has warmed up, the veggies are tender. It has simmered about 45 minutes on low. The meat is still tender and now tough
Take about four tortillas, today it is flour but corn would be great and cut into strips
Take about a 1/2 cup oil and heat on medium high heat until it is good and hot. I always seem to use this old pan. I have newer pans but this one seems to be my tortilla pan. I need to break that habit.
let the tortilla chips drain on paper towels and then salt lightly
I always line the bowl with tortillas first.
My favorite...all dressed up with tortilla chips, cheese and if we have it, avocado.

0 comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails
Proud member of FoodBlogs