Share |

Monday, April 23, 2012

Almond Icebox Rounds

It is almost embarrassing how long it takes me to post recipes. I made these little gems for my Christmas baking. I added these to my baking list, and list I mean a two page list that The Tortured Teenager and I plowed through in one day with the help of two ovens and some well choreographed planning. I found these on Better Homes and Gardens website. I am sure it was on AOL's front page or something because I never go to BHG website but I am a sucker for a butter cookie and even more of a sucker for an almond cookie. These were very fast to make. I put the dough together in no time and then refrigerated, sliced and had baked and cooled before you know it. These are a keeper.


Almond Icebox Rounds
recipe adapted from Better Homes and Gardens


1 cup butter, softened
1 3 ounce package cream cheese, softened
2/3 cup sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
1/4 teaspoon almond extract
2 cups all-purpose flour
3/4 cup slivered almonds, toasted and chopped
2/3 cup sliced almonds, chopped













In a large mixing bowl, combine butter and cream cheese until smooth. Add sugar, salt, vanilla, and almond extract. Mix until combined. Add in as much of the flour a cup at a time as you can with the mixer. Using a wooden spoon, stir in any remaining flour and the 3/4 cup toasted almonds.
I had to cut my nuts up
Divide dough in half. Shape each half into a log. Roll each log of dough in 2/3 cup almonds. Wrap each log in plastic wrap or waxed paper. Chill about 6 hours or until dough is firm enough to slice.

Cut rolls into 1/4-inch slices. Place slices 1 inch apart on the prepared cookie sheet.
Bake in the preheated oven for 12 to 14 minutes or until edges are lightly browned.

0 comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails
Proud member of FoodBlogs