Share |

Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Blueberry Scones revisited



Every little girl has those special memories with their grandmother. Mine was amazing and one of a kind. Never a mean word ever came out of her mouth. In fact, she was unable to discipline us granddaughters. She would threaten us with our grandfather. And I was afraid of my grandfather! He would never harm us kids but he was forever grumpy to her happy! I miss her everyday.

Her house always smelled so good! She cooked for an army and everyday! No joke. There was always a casserole or some sort of stew cooking. And the sweets!!! Gram was known for her sweets. Most of her recipes were not recorded so the ones I have, I cherish.

Blueberry Scones are traditionally an Easter morning or St. Patrick's Morning treat in our house. The recipe is from my Gram but it is the traditional sour cream scone recipe. The only change I have made is one I know Gram's would totally love. USA weekend ran a story on scones a couple of years ago and recommended freezing and then cheese grating the butter. It really makes a difference!!

I bet you even have all the ingredients!


In a large mixing bowl add
2 cups flour
1/3 cup sugar
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
Mix well

In a small bowl add
1/2 cup sour creme
2 eggs
Mix well


Grate frozen butter on cheese grater.

Add to flour mixture. Use your fingers to mix. It will be like pebbles.

Add the liquid mixture to butter/flour mixture.

Mix. It won't come together completely. DO NOT ADD WATER!!

Turn out onto floured area.(notice I am so into taking pictures that I forgot to add flour to my own surface! oops)

Knead with hands two minutes or until it comes together.
Flatten out and add 1/2 cup of frozen blueberries. Fold over an knead into dough.

Form into an 8 inch circle or a circle that is 3/4 inch thick.

Transfer to a cookie sheet and cut into 8 triangles. Separate each. Now my Gram liked to have them an inch apart. I like to have them closer together. It makes the cook time a little longer but they are more moist!

Take two TB milk, brush over top of scones.

Sprinkle with sugar and cook 400 degrees for 15-20 minutes









0 comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails
Proud member of FoodBlogs