Share |

Friday, March 9, 2012

Bangers and Mash Revisited


Being March I am revisiting all of my favorite St. Patrick's Day Foods. You don't have to be Corned Beef and Cabbage to get noticed on St. Patrick's Day in this house although it is a favorite of mine and The Fireman's. The kids tend to complain. You can't make everyone happy here. This one tends to make just about everyone happy. I mean really, how can you go wrong with sausage and mashed potatoes? But I don't add mashed peas to my meal. I think my kids would boycott the meal. I would love them but the kids would have a fit. This meal comes together pretty fast too. Fast meals tend to be my favorite. So if you are a corned beef hater try this! Not to mention the family will get a kick just out of calling them bangers all night.



Bangers and Mash
1-2 packages of Irish sausages (Johnsonville has some great ones but if the Irish ones are no where to be found, Brats will do just fine. I like to not use Italian sausages though.) My family used 1 package
2 onions sliced
1 clove of garlic minced
1 Guinness
1/2 cup chicken stock
1 TB flour
4 TB butter
salt and pepper to taste

Prepared mashed potatoes. Mine are just potatoes, butter, sour cream and salt & pepper. The gravy is rich so you don't need much in the potatoes.

Get your potatoes in the pot and boiling while you make the rest of this meal. It all comes together about the same time.
Toss the sausages (or Bangers) in a pan. Prick them with a fork so they dont burst (I actually had The Tortured Teenager ask me if the package reads "Prick em so they dont explode") Cook on Medium high until cooked thoroughly.


While the Bangers are cooking, take the butter and melt it in a pan on Medium high heat. Add the onions and cook until nice and brown. Add the garlic.

Add the flour and let cook a minute.

Add the beer...all of it, or drink part of it. Mine was a BIG bottle so The Fireman was waiting for his portion. I like to cook with Guinness but I'm not so keen on drinking it.

Add the chicken stock. Beef would work here too. You could even use water. Salt and pepper to taste. I actually put quite a bit of salt in mine. The beer takes the salt well and counteracts the flavor well.

Serve with Peas. Why Peas? Because my Gram said so and Heaven knows I better not go against her! So serve Peas!

0 comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails
Proud member of FoodBlogs