Share |

Monday, June 27, 2011

Chocolate Kahlua Cake

The world was ending or so twitter said. So I played along and prepared a nice dinner the night before. We made it through the time of departure so I felt we needed to celebrate and with cake. This cake was all B.B.'s fault. She made it for a trip out of town. I could smell it through Facebook. I'm not even a sweets person. But I had to make this cake. This is a uber easy recipe. Betty helps out as she usually does with my baking. Its easy to dress up box mixes. Alcohol does wonders! Luckily I had a bottle of Kahlua from Christmas. I end up buying it every year when it's cheaper than cheap. Somebody always ends up drinking it. And if you don't drink with it, cook with it! Now this cake does have some liquor in the glaze. If you have children eating the cake and you are concerned about it, you could cook the Kahlua in the microwave for a couple of minutes (get it boiling) to cook out the alcohol

Chocolate Kahlua Cake
1 chocolate cake mix (without pudding) I'm using Devil food
1 small box chocolate pudding mix
2 cups sour cream or 16 oz tub
4 eggs
3/4 cup vegetable oil
1/3 cup Kahlua
1 cup chocolate chips

Kahlua Glaze:

1 cup powdered sugar
4 Tablespoons Kahlua


For this, you will need a bundt pan. Spray it with some cooking spray. Mine has the flour added so I can skip that step
Mix ALL the cake ingredients including the chocolate chips and pour into the pan
Bake 350 until a toothpick comes out clean. Use the time that the box gives you as a guideline. Let cool completely before you attempt to remove it from the pan. This is key! I have rushed the whole process and had it fall apart on me!
Now make the glaze
Kahlua Glaze:

1 cup powdered sugar
4 Tablespoons Kahlua
Now this cake does have some liquor in the glaze. If you have children eating the cake and you are concerned about it, you could cook the Kahlua in the microwave for a couple of minutes (get it boiling) to cook out the alcohol

Mix well and pour or drizzle over the cake
I rushed the glaze. The cake could have cooled a little longer but it melted into the cake with was heaven!
Top with vanilla ice cream

0 comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails
Proud member of FoodBlogs