Share |

Friday, March 15, 2013

St. Patricks Day doesnt have to be about Corned Beef...

Guinness Beef Stew





St. Patrick's Day doesn't have to be about Corned beef. I have so many friends that despise it. I love love love it personally but I understand how it is not everyone's favorite. Heck my kids don't particularly like it so I get it. This however, my brats love. What is not to love about stew?  And I love meat that cooks in beer, it just gets this deep flavor that I crave. This was done on the stove top but if I was to do it all over I would dump it all into a crock pot.


Guinness Beef Stew
Olive oil for browning the meat
1 pound (or package) of chuck beef stew meat
5-6 cloves of garlic chopped
1 box of beef broth
1 cup of Guinness Beer
1 cup of red wine (please grab something you would drink or ask for a recommendation from your grocer)
2 TB tomato paste
1 Tb sugar
1 TB dried thyme
2 TB Worcestershire sauce
2 Bay leaves
2 TB butter
3 pounds of potatoes, peeled and cut into large chunks
1 large onion, chopped
2 cups baby carrots
2 cups celery cut into chunks
Salt and Pepper

Heat oil in an extra large sauce pan. Season the meat with salt and pepper. Brown the meat in batches.

Remove from the pan and set aside. Add the chopped garlic and sauté. Do not burn it.

Add the tomato paste and cook for a minute.

Add Guinness, red wine, beef stock, Worcestershire sauce, sugar, thyme, and bay leaves. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat, cover and simmer 1 hour.

Add vegetables to the pot!

In frying pan, melt the butter over medium high heat. Add the potatoes and onions and saute until golden brown. Resist the urge to eat out of the pan while it is cooking.

Add to the meat mixture. Let simmer until vegetables are soft.



This could be made in the crock pot. I would use larger chunks of meat and I would brown the meat and add all the ingredients including the potatoes and vegetables. Leave the vegetables in very large chunks. Set on low and let simmer all day.


0 comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails
Proud member of FoodBlogs