Share |

Tuesday, March 12, 2013

Guinness Braised Beef Brisket



I am totally in love with Corned Beef! It doesn't have to be March or St. Patrick's Day for my family to toss it in the crock pot. The Fireman loves my recipe for Corned Beef. I cook it until it is just about to fall apart but where it is still holding its shape and then cover it with brown mustard and brown sugar and put in the oven to crust up. It is heavenly. But it is in no way traditional. Even the way my beloved Gram made it is not traditional. She would cook it the same way and then toss it in the oven with a orange sauce. My family loves bold flavors. I saw this recipe in my Cooking Light Cookbook and thought I should give it a try. I mean, come on, it is cooked in beer and you cant go wrong in The Fireman's eyes cooking in beer.


Guinness Braised Beef Brisket 

 recipe adapted by Cooking Light



2 cups water

1 cup chopped onion

1 cup chopped carrot

1 cup chopped celery

1 cup Guinness stout

2/3 cup packed brown sugar

1/4 cup tomato paste

1/4 cup chopped fresh or 1 tablespoon dried dill

1 (14 1/2-ounce) can low-salt beef broth

6 black peppercorns

2 whole cloves 1 (3-pound) cured corned beef brisket, trimmed



Combine first 11 ingredients in a large electric slow cooker, stirring
until well blended; top with beef. Cover and cook on HIGH 8 hours or
until beef is tender. Remove beef; cut diagonally across grain into
1/4-inch slices. Discard broth mixture.

I stuck my crock pot on low while I was preparing all the ingredients. I don't cook on low anymore. I am too last minute of a cook for cooking on low. We will be cooking on HIGH, starting at 1pm and eating at 6.
 I am missing the brown sugar here. I know..always something

Add the liquids, sugar, tomato paste and  peppercorns. I DID NOT ADD THE WATER. In my Crock Pot it is not needed. I can cook meat with very little water and the 2 cups of water was WAY too much.
 Add the dill, and it will look like soup

add the veggies and now it really looks like soup. The Ballplayer came into the kitchen and asked if we were having soup for dinner.
 put the meat on top and cook until fork tender. About six hours

 I added four potatoes to the pot, two hours before the meal was done

Meat is done and Louie is aware of it!

 Slice up the meat

 It is so tender yet holds it shape



  DINNER!!! I pared with some Braised Cabbage. Heavenly!

0 comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails
Proud member of FoodBlogs