Share |

Monday, January 14, 2013

Chicken with Cider & Bacon Sauce


They say you drop your New Years resolutions by the second week of January. That is probably why I never make resolutions. Last year I got fed up with some extra weight I had been carrying and decided to become serious about it. I really played around with what worked for me. I found for me I have to eat in moderation. I cant low carb. I need (and I say that with a profound need) potatoes even if it is a half cup. I cant have junk food in my vicinity or I will eat all of it (the moderation rule need not apply) and that I can have noodles but only one serving (and that really means looking at the box- who knew?) but then I need to add a nice amount of veggies to my meal. That has been my rocket science. People who know me question "do you eat everything you cook?" yes AND most importantly portion control is the most important part of my life. Some days I am on a losing streak and will only taste what I cook and other days I am on a maintaining my weight and might have a serving.

This recipe comes from my Cooking Light cookbook. I have seen it on a couple blogs but ultimately it is a Cooking Light recipe. When I made this recipe I made it exactly as the recipe was written. But to do it all over, I would cut the chicken up before serving and pile up over the broccoli and rice and then pour the sauce over everything because the sauce is really the golden child of this recipe and you will want to dip everything in it. And if you are not counting calories, make a double batch of the sauce. It is that good.


Chicken with Cider & Bacon Sauce
recipe adapted from:
Cooking Light
Ingredients:
4 (6-ounce) skinless, boneless chicken breast halves
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
2 bacon slices, chopped
1/4 cup minced fresh onion
3/4 cup unsweetened apple cider
1/2 cup fat-free, less-sodium chicken broth

Place each chicken breast half between 2 sheets of heavy-duty plastic wrap; pound to 1/2-inch thickness using a meat mallet or rolling pin. Sprinkle chicken evenly with salt and pepper.
 (I bought thin chicken breast since they were on sale) 


 Cook bacon in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat until crisp.


  Remove bacon from pan.
 Add chicken to drippings in pan; cook 6 minutes on each side or until done.
 Remove chicken from pan; keep warm.
 Add onion to pan; cook 2 minutes or until tender, stirring constantly.
 Add cider and broth; bring to a boil, scraping pan to loosen browned bits.
 Cook until broth mixture is reduced to 1/2 cup (about 5 minutes).

  Stir in cooked bacon; serve sauce over chicken.

 I added white rice
 DINNER!!










0 comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails
Proud member of FoodBlogs