Share |

Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Green Beans


Skimming through my Facebook this morning, one of my friends had replaced her default picture with one of Joan Crawford’s crazy moments from “Mommy Dearest!” I love that movie! And not because my mom was totally her! But because it makes me feel like I am not THAT crazy of a parent! “NO WIRE HANGERS!!!”

Being that this IS a food blog, is safe to say that I must bring up the scene when the daughter is forced to stay at the table to finish her food. I was raised in a “Clean Plate Club” home! Meaning, you did NOT get up from the table until you ate everything on your plate. And it was very unfair considering my father was the one to dish me up most of time. The portions were big for an adult man and I don’t know how I managed to do it. Well, yes I do! There were many nights that the dog was fed my vegetables!

Now, we know that it is unhealthy to expect a child to finish everything on their plate. It promotes unhealthy eating habits and obesity. But we also need to get our kids to eat healthy foods rather anything with crap listed as the first ingredient. I am lucky that my kids will eat 80% of the vegetables I serve. I am even luckier that if I buy fruit, it will be eaten before it spoils. Now, that is not to say that if you put a bag of chips on the counter that the kids wont demolish them like they have never been fed! But they do choose healthy foods when I provide them in the house.

I asked my kids why they eat vegetables for me! It’s a reasonable question in a time when parents are begging kids to eat them. My son said that I put “stuff in em!” Ok, fair enough! I do dress them up…


Sautéed Green Beans

1 bag prepared green beans (saves you the time)
2 pieces of bacon
Salt and pepper
¼ cup Sunflower kernels

Cut uncooked bacon into bite size pieces and sauté to a golden brown. Do not remove from pan. Do not drain drippings. (Hey, it’s why the kids eat them!)
Add green beans to the bacon and add salt and pepper. Sauté until green beans are fork tender.
Add Sunflower kernels and serve!

So...were you a part of the "Clean Plate Club?"

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

Taggin ya back!! (Can I come for Taco Tuesday??)

Mz. Jazie said...

Yay!! I Am So Happy To Come To This Blog... This Is My First Time Visiting A Food Blog. I Really Need To Start My Daughter On A Healthy Lifestyle. She is 17 months now. She officially eats solid foods and loves trying new things. I will be trying this...

By The Way... Tagging Ya Back!! Happy Tag Tuesday!!

Show Me Mama said...

Looks delicious! can't wait to try it out. Tag, your it :) Thanks for dropping by my blog!

Anonymous said...

Tag Back! From Crystal Clear Savings! Man those green beans look awesome!

Mel_Cole said...

My goodness, I love green beans! MMM! I like this recipe :) I'm your newest follower. Tag, you're it!

Amy said...

Tagging back! Those beans look SO yummy!! Can't wait to see more!

Anonymous said...

Hey..drop me an email at boobiesbabiesandablog@gmail.com

and i'll show you how to code a button! :)

Simply Stacie said...

Tag! You're it!!

Xenia said...

I'm clearly out of the loop when it comes to the tag game, but I'll definitely agree with the previous comments that say those green beans look tasty! Plus, just glancing over at your archives I see Chocolate Chip Banana Bread and Mississippi Mud Cake, so now I have to head over and check those out... mmmmm....

Michele N said...

I was raised part of the clean your plate club until I puked all over a plate of spanish rice which I told my parents I didn't like. After that I no longer had to clean my plate. In my house now, we don't really have to worry about the kids cleaning their plates, they will eat almost anything. We did introduce the kids to a variety of foods early on, but I grew up with vegetables of all types all around. It also helps to grow a garden, you can get them to try just about anything they can go pick. :o) Even if my kids don't particularly care for something, they'll usually eat it. Unless it's my daughter and eggs. lol

Andrea said...

That looks yummy! I am following you right back:-)

Meg @ A Dash of Nutmeg said...

I was a member of the clean plate club. I still have pangs of guilt sometimes when I don't finish everything I dished out, isn't that horrible?

Related Posts with Thumbnails
Proud member of FoodBlogs